9.

Tris

Four walks next to me without saying a word. I decide to do the same. I tried asking him where we are going but he didn't answer. He doesn't answer most of my questions. He did tell me not to call him Four. I wonder why. Maybe he is going to tell me why now and that's where we are going.

"Okay. We're here." Fou-wait I'm not supposed to call him that. He says once we walk into the Pit.

"What are we doing here?" I ask suddenly curious.

"I thought that we could get something to eat. I know that new students are allowed to leave the compound without supervision so I thought that if you were hungry because I mean you had a tough day. We could get something to eat. Just you and me. I don't want to make" this weird or any-"

"Are you asking me on a date, Four?" I ask. Oops I said Four. I hope that he doesn't notice.

He looks sad, "Please don't call me Four."

"Then tell me what I should call you. Wait you never answer any of my questions so why should I not call you Four?"

"Yes Tris. I am asking you on a date."

I stare at him with a grin, "What should I call you."

"Are you always this stubborn?" He asks me while laughing then gets serious, "I'll show you after our date."

"Okay."

I'm so excited. This is my first date. Why would Four, I mean him, ask me on a date or want to go on one with me. I am not pretty. I'm younger. Maybe he's lying and he really only wants to use me. I don't know. I guess I'll just have to see. I shouldn't even because he's my instructor. Maybe when or if I become a Dauntless member after Initiation we can.

I ask while we try to get out of the crowds, "Why do you want to go on a date with me?"

"I have something I need to tell you," he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him. "I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."

"That's sensible of you," I say, smiling too. "We should find some paper so you can make a list or a chart or something."

I feel his laughter against my side, his nose sliding along my jaw, his lips pressing my ear.

"Maybe I'm already sure," he says, "and I just don't want to frighten you."

I laugh a little. "Then you should know better."

"Fine," he says. "Then I love you."

Hand in hand we walk toward the restaurant. I monitor the pressure of my hand carefully. One minute, I feel like I'm not gripping hard enough, and the next, I'm squeezing too hard. I never used to understand why people bothered to hold hands as they walked, but then he runs one of his fingertips down my palm, and I shiver and understand it completely.

"Why? Don't pretend," I say breathily, "I'm not ugly but I'm certainly not pretty."

"Fine. You're not pretty so?" He kisses my cheek, "I like how you look. You're deadly smart. You're brave and selfless. You're also kind."

"But. . . You're older then me," I blush.

He snorts, "Yeah, a whooping two years is certainly insurmountable."

My eyes drift towards the ground. Maybe he does like me. Yet, I doubt it. Guiding me away from our spot and towards the restaurant, we walk out of the crowds and arrive at a fancy restaurant-or as fancy as they get in Dauntless. It's dark inside with a few lights. Many crowds of people clad in black clothing stand around waiting.

He walks up to the waiter, "Reservations for Four and Tris."

"Right this way, Four." The waiter says, clearly proud to be seating the almighty Four.

We follow the waiter to a table in the back of the restaurant. A single light hangs above us. I see someone wave at Four.

"Four!" Shouts a boy about the same age as him.

"Zeke! Shauna!" He yells back and waves.

The waiter shows us our table leaves. He tells me that he wants me to meet his friends. I nod and follow him to the boy and girl who were just yelling for Four. They sit at the bar in the back of the restaurant. Alcohol is in different bottles. I never drank before. Crowds people sit at the bar with tattoos and piercings. Mostly, they yell at the waiter and the majority of their breath smells fowl like they ate onions.

"Hey. Four, who's the Stiff?" Asks the darker skinned boy named Zeke.

"Tris." He says with a smile.

A girl sitting next to Zeke with blonde hair states, "I'm Shauna."

I smile back, unsure of how to respond.

"Four, want a beer?" Zeke asks.

"Sure." He says and Zeke tosses him one of their extras. He chugs it down in no time. Four grabs another beer then another and after four I loose track.

"Four, I'm going to sit down. Our waiter should be coming soon." I tell him and wave to Zeke and Shauna.

"I'll be there soon. You look good Tris. . . We should hang out again." He whispers before I leave. His breath smells of intoxication.

He's drunk, I think. He probably doesn't know what he's saying.

"Okay, Four. You shouldn't drink that and how, with you drunk?"

I walk back to the table and Four arrives shortly after me, smiling. He sits across from me. His back faces the bar where Zeke and Shaunna are. A table is behind Four and another table of people sits next to ours. We our the only table in this corner of the restaurant.

"Tris, I'm serious. No, I uh I guess real. . . ." He stutters.

"But. . . You shouldn't see me like this, however, if someone had to, I am glad it is you," he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him.

Thoughts rush into my head like a never ending waterfall. This is all too sudden yet it feels so right. And then three final words escape like a croak from a frog, "I love you too."

I go up to his seat across from mine. We sit next to each other now. I kiss him first and wrap my arms around his neck. He kisses back. He places his hands gently on me. I begin to think that we were meant for each other. This is how we fit. We are two puzzle pieces meant to be together.

"I don't want to interrupt Four but what would you like to eat?" Our waiter appears out of no where and asks. We gently pull apart, not wanting to ever let go of each other.

"You probably don't know about Dauntless food because you came from Abnegation. Is it okay if I order for you?" Fou- He asks me.

I nod, "Sure."