This Is Where Reality Sets In

Chapter Fifty:

Claire's POV

April 22nd, 7:30am.

It was a chilly Friday morning, as I was finishing packing up most of my stuff into my suitcase. Today was the beginning of my six month journey. Selena would be picking me up by 8:15, and we'd head to her house where the tour bus and the rest of the crew were.

After I zipped up the side, I turned slowly towards the freshly made bed, staring at the empty spot in which was Taylors side. I climbed onto the covers and curled into a ball upon where I could still smell the faintest hint of his scent. Even though he'd been in Vancouver/Washington for the past two weeks doing last minute shooting.

I've missed him. I've missed his laugh, the way his smile would light up my face.. We haven't seen much of each other since March came around. His schedule was packed with flying to different states for both his movies, and well, I was busy dancing. And trying to keep my friendship with Jack. Which by the way, has been going quite smoothly. He's gotten past his slip up and we're now just a pair of really good friends. I decided that I would bring up the question of him being our best man today. Since we'd be stuck in a bus for a few days..

Though Taylor was still stuck in my recent thoughts. I didn't know if he would be here in time to say goodbye.. We did talk last night and he had said that he had a flight out of Washington early this morning. I was urgently hoping that he'd make it home in time.

The slam of a car door startled me out of my haze. I looked up at the clock and noticed that it was eight already. I sat up, wiping my streamed cheeks with my sweatshirts sleeve and went to take down my stuff.

As soon as I got off the last step, there was a light knock at the door. I sniffed, rolling my suitcase and swinging my purse over my shoulder, going to open it for her.

"Hey, I know I'm a bit early.. but.." Her voice trailed as she looked at me. "Claire, were you crying?" She came forward, closer to my face, placing her hands on my shoulders. We had become really close since this all started. She eventually found about the whole Jack thing and was beating herself up about putting us together. But I said it was okay; that we needed that time to work some kinks out.

"Sort of.." I mumbled.

"Aw, how come?" Her eyes comforting.

"Cause I don't know if Taylor's going to make it to say goodbye.." I slowly looked up at her.

"Oh Claire Bear, I'm sure he'll be here."

I just gave her a small smile and shook her hands off. "It's okay.. I guess. We should go anyway, they're waiting for us." Before she could reply, I pulled my luggage around her feet and was headed to her car.

"Are you sure you don't want to wait a bit longer?" Selena's features were pained, as if they were reflecting off of mine. I wasn't sure what my own face looked like right now.

We were sat in her car, the engine was idling while all was waiting on my decision. I sighed and glanced at my phone. It had only been ten minutes, what are the odds of him coming right now?

Well I was about to be proved wrong.

The sound of a blaring motor roared through the neighborhood. Tires often screeched, making mile long echos throughout. Both Selena and I pushed our eyebrows down in thought of what was coming. The noises grew closer, I then looked over my shoulder - as we were parked in the driveway - trying to see better. Sel then urged me to get out of the car, it was like she knew something that I didn't. Though I obeyed, and stood at the edge of the driveway.