Realizing What I've Done

Chapter Sixty Eight:

Claire's POV

I rarely look at myself in the mirror.

Maybe to see how the outfit I'm wearing looks on my body, but other than that, never. The way I see it, well if you look at yourself and only yourself for too long, I conclude that you are a self-centered human being. But for this moment in time, this split second before I could flee out of the bathroom and onto the king sized bed where Taylor laid awaiting for me, I overlooked my features. I wanted to make sure everything looked alright and in place. I wasn't positive why, but my gut told me to do so, and everybody listens to their gut right?

Right...

I looked tired still. Even three weeks later, after all the chaos of Dan's heart attack, I seemed slow. Slow because that day took a rather large toll on me. I thought of my dad through Dan and it made me think a lot more about my future. Not only with Taylor and my children but my brothers and father. Although, Taylor was doing better. He was smiling and laughing a lot more, like the familiar husband that I know. That one point in our moving life made my mind a little sunnier; it was clear enough so that I could focus on what's in front of me than what's behind me.

My hair was a little frizzy, the usual tight curls now frayed out and all over the place. I wasn't too pleased with that. What could I do anyway? I inhaled suddenly and exhaled deeply, closing and opening my eyelids.

I heard a small crash from the other room: "Shit."

I chuckle under my breath at the distress and annoyance that came with Taylor's voice. I wonder what he dropped... And with that, I turned over my shoulder and flicked the switch as I came towards the bathroom door.

The first thing I see: Taylor laying halfway underneath the sheets. His muscled torso baring the air as well as his cheeky smirk. I bite my bottom lip, instantly feeling heat coming from the core of my cheeks. He chuckled once and shifted to a sitting position. I danced the rest of the way until I was sat right next to him. He stared at me for the longest time. Like he was either waiting for me to take my clothes off or he was just staring because he felt like it.

I was aiming for the first option... Only because that's what he usually thought about when we were ever in bed about to get it on.

Oh, and don't worry about the babies. They're spending time with Grandpa and Grandma for the night while mommy and daddy have some time alone.. (Cough, cough)

"Are you alright?" He quickly asked me. The sound of his tone speaking directly at me startled my scattered mind.

I let my eyes flutter around for three seconds, his warm palm stroking my naked shoulder, waiting in silence for my response. "Yeah, yes, why- I'm perfect." I managed to completely stammer. Losing my cover already. Well here's a trophy for the new world record.

Taylor's pupils softened slightly in the low light. Pins and needles stabbed into my body through his caressing. "What's going on?"

"Nothing," I flashed my teeth like a lighting bolt. Now you see it, now you don't.

His expression went flat.

"Really, I'm fine." I tried, pleading silently. But obviously he wasn't buying what I was selling. This sucks. "Hey, c'mon let's do this thang," I said smiling as I stripped off my tank top, exposing the floral print bra that I was wearing. And for that tiny millisecond, Taylor's eyes flickered below to the crease of my chest, and straight back up like nothing happened.

I changed the subject on him then. "Did you just check out my boobs?"

His face stayed the same though there was a difference to the color in his cheeks. I grinned. "What are you talking about?" He sounded oh so innocent. Baby, those days are over. "Fine fine. I check you out every second of the day..." His head tilted with a cheesy smile.