Do I Still Cross Your Mind?

Chapter Sixty Nine:

Taylor's POV

Once the last person had ducked out of the house, it was almost four o'clock. I know that Dani and Andy had a blast this afternoon. I loved witnessing their happy smiles while everyone seemed to enjoy spending time with them and just having a good time at the party. Claire did a great job organizing this and I was so proud of her. To see my family happy was enough of a birthday present than anything else. Though Claire had planned a little outing with our closest friends for tonight, in which it would go down most likely around nine or even ten. I had no clue where we were going or what we were doing but hey, it was my 23rd birthday and I knew that I'd have some damn fun either way. No matter what had happened earlier. I knew better than to question her about it; she was visibly broken hearted and Mark and her brothers could easily pick that out. Even when they tried to confront her about it, she shoved them away, sinking back into that shell of privacy.

I noticed that Mark had strayed on the porch with Claire in front of him, them both in some small talk. I watched silently from the opening, leaning on the door jam with my hands buried in my pockets. I looked onto the sidewalk seeing Nikki, Ashley and Rob piling in Ashley's Q7. Missing from the group: Kristen and Kellan. I suddenly felt suspicious on where they were. My eyes squinted in thought. Before I knew it, Claire was beside me, her arm grasping around my waist comfortingly. I sank into her embrace, circling my own arm around her, pulling her body close. I heard a low sigh rise from her as she waved to her dad. I gave him a small grin, which he returned, walking over to his car and driving off with Jordan, Shelby and Stephanie inside.

7:34pm

As I traveled up the stairs slowly, my legs dragging underneath me, I felt overwhelmed with exhaustion. It was kind of depressing cause I still had to enjoy the rest of the night with my friends.. Which I knew wouldn't be a problem. I think dealing with Claire and the twins and the 'Jack situation' had crashed right through me and of course, I'd taken it head on. Hopefully coming out of it unscathed.

I still wasn't sure if I was happy that Jack was out of the picture now.. He's a good friend to me, and obviously one to Claire, it was just hard to cope with the fact that we were all in our rightful places; no changes were allowed even if we wanted them to. I knew Jack loved Claire. I've seen it in the way he's always looked at her. Claire loved him too, more like a brother but that bond never wavered between them with all the hard times they went through. He'd come around. Someday. Hayley and Claire are still the greatest of friends so I'm sure everything between them would be normal. At some point, they would cross paths again.

Striding down the dimly lit hall, I peeked through the crack of the twins room. My eyes roamed their separate cribs, checking up on them anxiously. Both were sound asleep, tuckered out from their crazy party. I chuckled silently by the thought. I'm glad they had a good time, though. I just couldn't wrap my head around at how they were a year old so soon.. It didn't seem real. Felt like just yesterday I was holding their tiny fingers within my palms while they slept peacefully. Now, 12 months later, both Dani and Andy had grown out of the crawling stage, exploring the idea of walking- or more like waddling their way around the baby-proofed corners; speaking nonsense at anytime, mostly gibberish. More brown hair had sprouted atop Danielle's head, while black upon Andy's. Both their round eyes had deepened in color, sparkling either a dark chocolate or gray hazel. After all this time, they continued to cause awe. Not only for Claire and I, but everyone else. I slipped into the serene bedroom, presenting small goodnight kisses on each of their foreheads before exiting from the nightlight filled alcove.

Changing areas, I stepped through the doors of our bedroom, my ears picking up water pouring onto a solid surface. Wandering, I ended up in the master bathroom. I spotted Claire's silhouette through the shadowy glass door, her body curving about with her movements. I strolled up to the handle and pulled on it, the plexiglas swinging open a tad. At the sight of someone looking onto her, Claire didn't budge. Only a small shiver shook her form by the cooling air that wafted into the hot steam that surrounded her. Her head turned as she continued to wash the bubbles from her drenched hair, a smug grin upon her oval face.