In A Blink Of An Eye

Thank you miri0nna for making my wonderful cover!!! xoxoxox :)

Chapter Forty One:

Claire's POV

"Ready?" Taylor asked.

I folded my napkin and placed it on the table, "Yep."

Smiling, he stood as I did, and took my waist with one hand while we made our way out of the restaurant.

"Thanks so much you two! Have a great night." One of the hostesses called out to us. We smiled at her and walked out the door.

Once in the car, "Thanks for dinner baby.." I smiled leaning towards him.

"It was my pleasure." He chuckled leaning forward.

"What's for dessert?" I hinted, our faces almost touching in the dimmed car.

"Maybe..." I cut him off with a slow kiss.

Our lips moving so fluidly, but so rich. Like hot caramel. Every time we kissed, it felt like my whole world was suddenly put together in one simple move. Fireworks bursting above us each time. Just like when we shook hands when we had first met. That same explosion of emotions, just more intense now. I parted from him with a small smile on my face. He took a breath in through his nose, opening his eyes once he exhaled.

All I could think right now.. is that he and I were meant to be.

Taylor then kissed my nose before starting up the engine.

We were on the highway, about ten minutes away from home, and Taylor was fidgeting with the radio. I laughed under my breath and turned my attention out my window. It was already dark out; eight fifteen, and traffic was out of sight. I then looked over to see a huge semi changing into our lane. Taylor hit the brakes pretty hard, throwing his arm in front of my chest while his hand connected with the steering wheel; the horn blowing immensely. 

"Idiot," He grumbled. "You okay?" He looked at me once we've stopped for a minute.

I nodded and took the hand that was still in front of me, weaving my fingers through it.

It then happened so fast.

Headlights shone into the car, having Taylor look behind him, only to see something that would change our lives.

"Holy shit..." His fingers instinctively tightened around mine.

I looked at him, "What?"

He looked back at the semi, which hadn't moved at all, though with a few cars surrounding us and some others moving about, he couldn't change lanes quick enough. I turned to see what was coming, only to be blinded by the on coming lights.

"I love you." Taylor looked at me for one last second with fear touching his eyes. And before I could reply my last love, we were hit.

I couldn't see anything as the BMW flipped multiple times across the pavement. I only felt my body going in different directions, feeling like a helpless rag doll throwing about. The seatbelt I guess did nothing, because I felt as if I had stopped tumbling and was now laying flat against the cold concrete.

My body hurt. Like a thousand ton weight was parked right on my ribs, crushing them. Were they broken? Was I completely broken? Where was Taylor? Still in the demolished car?

My ears picked up muffled sounds. Sirens. Voices. More cars. But not Taylor.

I tried to pry my eyelids open, to see what was going on, how much was the damage.. But it was as if chains were holding me together in place. I wasn't supposed to move. I wasn't able to move.

Then the pain suddenly struck my legs. Slowly and agonizingly moving up my body. I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. But instead, I just lay there.

I didn't want to die, I didn't want Taylor to die. We shouldn't have to die because a drunk driver plowed into us. Right? Something in my now fuzzy mind told me that statement was not true..

The thing that chilled me the most was that Taylor had kept his hand connected with mine throughout the whole accident. Until I flew out the window..

I yearned for him to be next to me. Just to feel him again.. would make me feel a whole lot better, and secure. Just to know that he's alright.

I prayed silently to God that we would get through this in one piece and everything would be okay.

That's when the voices grew clearer, as if they were right next to me. My brain then shut down for a bit. Though I kept fighting to stay alive. For myself, my family, and for my love.

I wouldn't die tonight. I promised myself I wouldn't.