Chapter 2: The Next Week

Valentine 

"Val, come on, it’s time for school.” My mom bellowed up from downstairs. I groaned and rolled out of bed and went straight to the bathroom to take a hot shower. I put on a striped yellow and white fitted t-shirt with my black army cargo pants.

I grabbed my school bag and went downstairs. I reached the kitchen and realized that I was starving. In my rage and shock of my altercation with Zayne, I forgot to eat dinner. My tummy began to growl and protest at my slow effort to get food into me.

 My mom had made me a toasted PB & J sandwich and was preparing herself to go to work. Her beautiful black Gucci cocktail dress with matching blazer was absolutely stunning. She is a very successful art dealer in not only our werewolf community but in the human world as well.

Dad was sitting at the kitchen table sipping his coffee while reading the paper. He was dressed in his normal business suit; today it was a gray Armani. He works in the Werewolf Ministry. The ministry is mostly made up of retired or aged out Alphas, Betas, Deltas and Lunas.

 Dad is one of the council members that make sure that our alliances with the Pure Bloods (those are the Vamps) and other supernatural creatures is kept.

 He also makes decisions on the judicial board when one of us does something that we are not supposed to do. Usually, it would have to be a pretty big offense, because most discrepancies get sorted out through our own Alphas and/or Betas.

“You look absolutely beautiful this morning Mom.” I smiled brightly at her. “Don’t you think Daddy?”

“Always,” he responded barely looking up from his paper. He did smile a knowing smile, and looked up at me and winked.

I chuckled and sat down, softly shaking my head at the silliness that is my parents. I devoured the sandwich in like two seconds and got up to get myself a glass of milk to wash it down.

“Are you feeling okay today Val? We missed you at dinner last night.” Mom spoke softly but with a hint of disappointment. I froze momentarily, not knowing what to say at that moment. Thank goodness for Nina.

‘Tell them you had a test to study for and you grabbed some food on the way home.’ She whispered in my head.

“Sorry Mom, I was just feeling swamped with school, had a few projects that I wanted to get a handle on, so I just grabbed a pizza on the way home and got down to work.” I looked at her smiling, hoping she will accept the little lie I just told.

“Okay hunny, just don’t make a habit of it. I don’t want to see you get anymore skinny than you already are.” She replied with the mom tone to make sure I understood her point. And just to make sure they were on the same page Mom turned to Dad and asked. “Don’t you think she is getting too skinny Car?”

Not wanting to get in between his wife and daughter he deflected the question by looking at his watch and jumping to his feet.

“Look at the time dear, we need to get going or we will be late for work.” He stammered while folding the newspaper and grabbing his coffee cup and walking to over to the sink.

 Mom shook her head chuckling and grabbed her briefcase and cellphone. She walked over and kissed my forehead and reminded me to lock up before I left the house. I assured her I would even though I don’t know why we do. It’s not like we will get robbed. Being werewolves, we have a great sense of smell. It wouldn’t be hard to find the perpetrator.  I kissed dad’s cheek as he was walking out the door and wished him a good day.