Author's note

This story may very well be blasphemous, I've always thought that Pride and Prejudice, and Mr Darcy and Miss Elizabeth Bennet, were not for ordinary mortals to make free with. And now I've done it myself.

I did write a fan fiction on a Jane Austen novel before, Redemption, an alternative ending to Mansfield Park. But Mansfield Park is not perfect, Jane Austen seems to have had some dislike for Henry and Mary Crawford, and since I rather liked them I thought they deserved a chance to redeem themselves.

Pride and Prejudice however is perfect, it doesn't need an alternative ending, it's great as it is. Elizabeth is the perfect heroine, smart, witty, and human. And Mr Darcy is every woman's ideal of the perfect man, so why write a fan fiction?

I never seriously considered doing it, I have great fun writing my own stories, with characters of my own, who live their own lives, sometimes exciting, and usually rather quiet. My stories are an amalgam of romantic fiction and fantasy, exploring people's emotions and relations rather than describing life-changing events. And hardly anybody reads them.

Whereas Redemption is read quite well, I think because people manage to find it despite the abundance of stories available on the internet, due to its connection to Jane Austen.

Then when I re-read Pride and Prejudice, again, and wondered, again, what poor Mr Darcy was feeling, really feeling, after having been rejected so forcibly by the woman he had been aching for for months, I decided to see whether I could write that down. He is human after all, he must have been devastated all this time, until she finally did accept him, exactly the thing I like to put into words.

And this is the result. If you think it's blasphemous to write about these characters, I totally agree. I've done even worse, for though the action fits with the book nearly exactly, Darcy feels much more intense than any Austen character ever would. And he has some naughty thoughts as well, which people probably did have in that time, but Jane Austen certainly didn't write about. As the story progresses he becomes ever more human, which cannot be helped when delving into someone's feelings.

And Darcy's sister somehow develops some character, which she doesn't in Pride and Prejudice, and she starts to have some influence on her brother's life, which Jane Austen most likely would not approve of, but which does make an interesting tale in my opinion.

So this is it, my version of Mr Darcy's story. I await your verdict with apprehension.