Chapter 1

That's what she's wearing above.
-Brooklyn-
The diner closes at nine it was 8:45. I watched the clock and then decided I should go check on my tables.
"Are you all set?" I asked the nice elderly couple.
"Yes thank you." They said.
I took their plates.
"Okay, here's your check. I'll be right over there. But I'll be back soon."
I scraped the food in the trash and put the plates in the bin by the sink. I looks at the clock. 8:50. I grabbed a rag to wash down old tables.
The elderly couple stood up.
"Have a great night!" I yelled as they left.
"Oh you too honey." The elderly woman said.
As soon as they left it began down pouring. Of course I had walked to work today. I figured it would stop or at least calm down by the time I was done here. I went over to the elderly couples table. I pocketed my tip and put the rest in the register in the back.
Nobody else was here. I sat at the bar to count how much money I had. $35. That was just tips. I smiled. I'd have to make a date soon to go to the mall with the girls. I grabbed my headphones and my phone. I put my playlist on and only put one headphone in. Just in case. I grabbed the broom. The rain didn't seem to be slowing down at all. Great. Pon de Replay by Rihanna came on.
I loved this song. I turned it up all the way, humming along occasionally. I dance a little as I swept. When I finished sweeping I went in the back to get towels to wipe down the tables.
-Shawn-
I was walking home when it started down pouring outside. I saw a diner up the street so I ran in and opened the door, soaking wet. There was a girl in there sweeping the floors. I couldn't actually see her face but she seemed pretty. She walked in the back and I took a seat at a booth. She came back with a cloth in her hand. She was breathtakingly beautiful.
"Um, I'm sorry but were-"
I cut her off. "Yeah I'm sorry it's just-"
She looked at my soaked clothes and then outside.
"Oh yeah." She smiled, cutting me off.
"It's okay you can stay till it clears up." She grabbed the rag off of her shoulder and started wiping down tables. She pulled out her headphones and took her phone out of her pocket. She paused her music and put it back in her pocket.
"You can listen to your music you know." I said leaning back a little bit. She smiled. "Just make sure it's tasteful." I added.
Now she laughed. "Don't worry." She said. "I've got tons of taste."
I smiled.
She put on her playlist she actually had really good songs. She wiped down all the tables and sighed.
I just watched her the whole time.
Occasionally she would glance up at me and I would smile.
"I have to go wash the dishes." She pointed behind her.
"Don't you have other people who do that?" I asked.
"Yeah-well-in normal places. But um you see they left."
I laughed. "It's okay I'll sit here." I said.
She went back there to wash the dishes.
She came back like five minutes later.
"That was quick." I commented.
"There wasn't that many." She took off her name tag and put it in her apron pocket. She took off the apron and hung it on a coat rack in the front. She went to the window.
She came over to me.
"I can go." I said, getting up.
"No, no." She said sitting down across from where I was sitting.
-Brooklyn-
I sat down across from this mysterious boy. He was cute.
"I can go." He said.
"No, no." I said. "I couldn't let you. Judging by your clothes you walked here."
He looked at me.
I smiled.
"Sit." I said.
He sat down across from me.
"Do you need to text your mom or something?" I asked. "Just to let her know you'll be late."
"Yeah that would be a good idea." He said.
He pulled out his phone, typed a few words and set it down on the table.
"I don't believe I introduced myself." He said holding out his hand, "Shawn, Shawn Mendes."
"Brooklyn." I said grabbing his hand, what a gentleman. "Brooklyn Sanders."
He smiled.
"So, Brooke, may I call you Brooke?" He asked.
"Yeah of course." I smiled.
"So Brooke, how old are you?"
"16 but I'll be 17 in August." I replied.
"August what?" He asked, intrigued.
"7th." I replied.
"No way."
"Yeah, why?" I asked.
"My birthday is August 8th." I laughed.
"So how old are you then?" I asked.
"Same."
"So what's your favorite color?" I questioned.
"Green."
"Liar." I said.
"Why would I lie to you?" He said putting his hands up. "Why?"
"My favorite color is green."
He smiled.
"Okay."
"Favorite movie." He stated.
"I don't think I have one. All though Harry Potter was pretty awesome."
"I love Harry Potter." He said.
I seemed to have a lot in common with him. I looked outside it was still raining.
"Where do you live?" I asked him.
He told me where he lived.
"Okay that's farther than where I live. So I feel I know you enough. Yeah?" I asked.
He laughed. "Yeah."
"So I say we make a run towards my house. Or walk whatever it's like 2 minutes from here. Hence why I walked but I thought it would stop raining."
"Hence?" He asked.
"Yeah hence. Are you in or not?" I asked him.
"Oh, I'm in." He said.