Chapter 18

“Nat!” I screamed. “HELP SOMEBODY HELP!” I screamed. I had to be rash; Nat was dead, well almost dead.

“Funlomo.” Life, I said. I suddenly felt very weak. I fell down and just lay there. I hoped I had done enough to keep Nat alive, but at that time, I thought I might die. I lay there for a very long time hoping that someone would come and help Nat. I had no idea how Brooke and Brent hadn’t heard the monster or my screams for help.  I also wondered why they hadn’t come back yet. Suddenly I fell asleep and thought I died, but it was only a dream.

“Candace, you must continue.” A voice said. “Your friend Natalie’s life is almost gone. You prolonged her life, but now you must save it. You must use the life spell followed by the save spell. Don’t worry the first life spell didn’t count. You will need help eventually and your brother Brent is the only one who can help. Beware you will be stronger than you’ve ever been. We have helped you and given you strength to help you save your friend. One more thing, only two of you will come out of this mission alive.”

“What? What do you mean it doesn’t count? Who are you? Who’s going to die?”

“You must return to your friend and we cannot tell you anything else.” Then I woke up with questions swimming in my mind.

Those things were right; I did feel stronger than ever. I ran over to Nat and felt for a pulse. I only felt a very small pulse that was dying. “Funlomo.” Life, I said. I did feel weaker, but still strong enough to go on. “Yolam.” Save, I said. Now I felt weak again, but felt stronger as I saw Nat’s eyes open. “Nat are you okay?” Nat opened her mouth, but no sound came out. “Just rest Nat. It’ll be okay, we’ll sleep here for the night. I’m going to move you out of the way so I can go buy a tent. Okay? Do you understand?” Nat tried to nod, but couldn’t quite finish the nod. “Nat, you used so much magic. You’ll be really weak. I’ll buy some water and we can have some snacks when I get back.” I put Nat in the bushes and put Maddie down into a pig. “Maddie, guard Nat and don’t let Brooke and Brent find you. If you see them hide by Nat.” Maddie walked over to Nat and stood by her side. “Good girl. Bye, see you soon.”

This time I just had my backpack so I ran to the airport. I came in and bought a pack of water bottles. Then I went to the bathroom to put them into boxes, so I wouldn’t have to lug it everywhere.

Then I went to the help counter and asked where I could buy a tent. They actually had one in a little convenience store. I decided to just carry the tent and I went back to Nat.

I wondered if Brooke and Brent had found a hotel or were already at the Pyramids of Giza. Nat and I would leave for Giza tomorrow so we could see them there. I had no idea what we would need to find, but I knew once we saw it we’d know it was the right thing. I quickly found Nat and Maddie again. I found a place that was deep in the trees so no one could find us. I brought Nat, the tent, and our stuff so I was ready to die when we got there. (Not literally. I was just really tired.) Maddie just followed me and offered me no help whatsoever.

I sat down for a few minutes, just to take a break, but I got right back to work again. I put all the tent pieces out of the bag and then said, “Bucla.” Build, and the tent built itself. That was handy. I had bought a three room tent so we had plenty of room.

“Panamomchi.” Unbox, I said and our sponge mattresses unfolded. I put those in and then in one of the other rooms, I dumped all our stuff onto the floor and unboxed it all. I brought some food and water to Nat and Maddie. They ate and I quickly changed. Then I got some food for me and ate.

We lay there for a while, but then I got cold so I got the blankets and cleaned up my mess of food and clothes. Nat was already asleep, and Maddie was patrolling outside. I climbed into bed and slept really well, NOT!

I had a very nice dream. I saw Brooke and Brent sleeping in a hotel. A nice, warm, cozy hotel. For some reason, Brooke’s phone lifted into the air and words appeared. It looked like it was notes or plans.

It said:Go find Candace and Natalie. We have to keep going if we can’t. I hope we don’t find them. I need to keep going to work for the ghosts. They’ll come up soon and I will help them rise and be their queen. Once we find Candace and Natalie I will kill them. I will use their blood to rise up the dead, and I will accompany the sorcerers in ghosts in destroying the world. I will make sure Brent is my King.

Then I woke up.