Chapter 11

“How long until she’ll wake up?” I heard a voice that sounded like Natalie’s say.

“Depends on her health. The healthier she is, the quicker she’ll wake up and heal. I won’t be able to send her home though. She is much too weak. Whoever came in here and stabbed her really good. Her shoulder will heal with time and will just have to get the wrap changed every so often and you only have to keep that on her for a week. The skin was gone, but it will be scabbed over soon. If she feels good enough to take the wrap off she can, and if it gets worse again you can come back here, or we can give you some to take home. Her thigh was the problem. The person who stabbed her went right through her bone. She has screws in there and that will be a long process before she’ll have mobility in her leg like before. The good news is that her concussion is healing well and unnaturally fast. She seems to be very healthy to be able to heal so well. Before I can let you go though, I’ll need your parent’s signature. She can go in a week or so, depending on her progress.” I heard Dr. Jeremiah say. “I’ll be back in a little while. She should be waking up soon and I assume you would be the best person to tell her what happened.”

“Okay, I’ll contact her parents. Hopefully they won’t come home from their vacation for this.”

“Terrible timing, but I will be off. I have many more patients to check on.” I heard running footsteps and then I heard a door click shut.

I groaned as I opened my eyes. I could feel the pain in my thigh and every minute it just got stronger. I looked over and saw Natalie came running over to my bed. I also saw another familiar person, that I couldn’t quite remember came over too. “Candace, what in the world happened to you? Did some crazy lunatic stab you with a knife or were you attacked by a monster?” Nat asked. She sounded really upset.

Before I answered Natalie I turned to the familiar girl. “Are you Brooke?”

She nodded. “Yeah I am.”

“Okay well what happened was I had a dream. Some huge twenty foot chicken was there and it attacked me. It had super sharp claws and it grazed my shoulder and then dug into my thigh. Its claw got stuck in my thigh and I was pretty much dying. Then I killed it and moved on.” I didn’t have too much energy and I didn’t want to over explain anything if I didn’t have to.

“Are you scared of chickens?” Brooke asked suspiciously.

“Yeah, why?” I had no idea why that concerned her.

“You just met one of the deadliest monsters out there. It’s called the Granlopisus. It doesn’t get defeated much, because it’s so strong and usually attacks weaker magicians. It will normally appear in the sky and fight you there, because during the day it is a cloud, and during the night it goes into magicians dreams and tries to kill them. Most monsters can’t hurt you in dreams if they can appear there at all, but that’s the only time the Granlopisus can harm you. Unfortunately whatever it does to you in the dream will become reality, even if it kills you. If you die in a fight against one, then you won’t ever wake up.”

“Why the chicken though?” Natalie asked for me. She must’ve known that was what I was going to ask.

“Because the Granlopisus can take on the form of your biggest fear. Since it enters your dream, it enters your mind and can see what your biggest fear is. It can see what you’re scared of and then can take on the form of any fear. It can become multiple things, large things, little things, you name it and the Granlopisus can take on that form. You’re lucky to have killed it.”

“I guess I’m lucky.”

Brooke laughed. “It wasn’t luck. You’re the most powerful magician in the world. You’re the one of the prophecy. If anyone could defeat the Granlopisus it’s you.”