Chapter 32

"We won't die." Kendra said weakly to Ethan. It looked really pointless that she was saying that, because she was almost dead. 

"Look at yourself my dear Kendra. Your life force is almost gone. You won't even last to the trial. Your friend Natalie is holding up better and she's been here longer." Ethan said. Truthfully, Nat didn't look good either. She was unconscious and really pale. 

"Let us go." I was the only one that was doing okay. "We will fight you." 

"You will? While Kendra is almost dead, and Natalie is unconscious? I'm sure that will work well. Remember I have reinforcements above me. I could just yell for help and they'd come right away. I'd be careful if I were you." 

He was right, I'd have to be careful, but there was no way I was going to stay down there for another hour. I'd probably be dead by then, if I wasn't Kendra and Nat for surely would be. "Maddie how are you doing?" I asked. 

"Fine, just don't focus on the bad parts of this place. Pretend it's bright and sunny, pretend it's a beautiful place that you love. It'll keep your life force tied to you longer." 

"Okay, and how do you know this." 

"Um, I have my reasons." Clearly she didn't want to talk about it. She was keeping secrets! Terrible, we didn't keep secrets around here, but we weren't exactly in the right place to be asking spooky stories.

"Okay then." My tone clearly showed that we would be talking about that matter again. I followed her advice. I started to think of the place as happy and such a beautiful place, like on the Lorax, with the fluffy pink trees and beautiful gardens. It started to work, I was becoming happier and I could feel my strength returning. "Hmm hmm hmm." I even started humming, and I don't hum unless I'm really happy. (You don't really want to hear me hum either, I kind of suck at singing, humming, or anything that has to do music.) Ethan started to look worse as I got better. "I knew you were trouble when you walked in. So shame on my no-ow." I started singing I Knew you Were Trouble, by Taylor Swift, and I never sing! I was really happy. When I was singing I was probably out of tune by a couple of keys, but that's okay. "Guys you got to be happy. SING!" 

"I'm not singing." Kendra weakly said. 

"Come on! It'll be fun! Blew me to places I've never been." I continued to sing I Knew you Were Trouble, out of key. "Picture the happiest place on Earth! OOHHHH!" I screamed like the goat version of I Knew you Were Trouble." That woke Nat up. 

"What? Where am I? What is that terrible sound?" I wasn't even offended. 

 "I'm singing! Join in! It makes you feel better! OHH-hh, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble. OHHH! OHH-hh. Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble.  No apology," Then Nat joined in. When we got to the chorus she looked much better and even stood up. 

"I knew you were trouble when you walked in, so shame on me now-ow,  blew me to places I never been. I'm lying on the cold hard ground, OHH!" We sang together. 

Ethan covered his ears. "Stop it! The land of the dead is no place for happiness!" 

"Nat, what song next? Maddie, Kendra join in! It's a hay day!" 

"How about..Titanium!" 

"You shout loud, but I can't hear a word you say I'm talking loud, not saying much. I'm criticized, but all your bullets ricochet. You shoot me down, but I get up. I'm bulletproof nothing to loose fire away, fire away. Ricochet you take your aim, fire away, fire away. You shoot me down, so I won't fall. I am TITANIUM!" We sang Titanium probably in a tune unheard of, by the end of it, Kendra and Maddie had joined in.