Chapter 5

Suddenly the memories came flooding back into my mind. The day that was my least favourite day of all days.  If I could have one day back, that would be the day.

Ring-ring-ring, I heard the telephone ringing and went to go pick it up. “Got it!” I yelled at Mom and Dad so they wouldn’t stop what they were doing to answer the phone. “Hello?”

“Is this Emma Brown?” An urgent voice asked.

“No, this is Candace Brown, their daughter.”

“This is the emergency response unit.” When I heard that I panicked. “I am calling, because your brother Luke has gotten into an accident. He is on his way to the Vancouver Hospital right now. I was wondering if you and your parents would be able to come.”

“What happened?” I demanded. Luke, my little brother was in trouble, and I needed to go as soon as possible.

“He had an accident. The doctor will explain everything when you arrive at the hospital.” I slammed the phone down.

“MOM, DAD GET INTO THE CAR NOW!” I yelled upstairs to my parents. “QUICKLY, LUKE’S IN THE HOSPITAL!” My eyes filled with tears. My little, and favourite, brother was in the hospital and if the emergency worker wouldn’t tell me what happened, I knew it was serious.

“What is it honey? What’s wrong?” Dad asked me. He looked scared to see me crying, since I rarely cried.

“Just get in the car and go to the Hospital. Please hurry!” I ran to the front door and Dad didn’t even say anything about me running, he just followed me. I put on a pair of shoes and ran out the door and jumped into the car. Mom and Dad ran in and before I even had my seat belt on we were out the door.

When we were out the driveway and on our way, I explained the situation. “The Emergency Response Unit called me and they said Luke was in the hospital. They wouldn’t tell me why, but it’s not good.” Tears filled my eyes again. My brother wasn’t doing well; my best friend wasn’t doing well. Luke and I had always been really close. Luke was so close with everyone in the family. Brent was his twin, he was so nice to me and we got along really well, and then he was very close with Mom and Dad.

Within a few, long minutes we reached the hospital. Mom, Dad, and I ran up to the registration desk. “Luke Brown, please, I’m his mother, Emma Brown.

“ID please.” The nurse said. Mom handed the nurse her license and the nurse led us to a room. Before she let us in she stopped us to talk to us, “I am very sorry. It will come at a shock to see him the way he is right now, but you have to be strong. We’re doing everything we can. It was a terrible accident and Luke’s friend will explain the situation to you, and then the doctor will tell you his medical state.” The nurse let us in a room and I gasped as I saw my brother lying on the hospital bed, unmoving.

“Luke!” I cried out, even though I knew he couldn’t hear me. I looked around the room and I saw a familiar boy from around school, and I knew it was Luke’s best friend. I was about to say something to the boy when Brent came running in.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t here earlier! I had to fill out some papers as a witness case.” Brent tried to sound upbeat, but his face said it all. He looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks, and I could tell he’d been crying. His eyes were puffy and red, and his body was sagging, like there was no energy left in him. It must’ve been hard for him since he was Luke’s twin.

The boy got up from the chair. “Hi I’m Andrew Dolap, I’m Luke’s friend. I’m really sorry that you had to see him like this. I came, because I saw it happen and I wanted to help you guys understand.” Andrew was pretty formal, but he was straightforward too. He had been crying as well, and I recognized him from the football team at school.