Chapter 33

I woke up quickly with a start. That had been a creepy dream. Apparently Brooke wanted my throat and she wanted me to die, so I would be under her command. I didn't even get how she could be queen of the ghosts when she was human. 

"Candace, what's wrong. You look like you've seen a ghost." Nat said. She sure seemed to have been reading into my dreams. 

"Well, I had another dream, and yes there were ghosts in it. I think we should open the clue. We need to know where to go next. Nat you have it in your pocket right? And Maddie you have to tell us about being happy." I said, trying to change the subject. 

"It's right here." Nat pulled the clue out of her pocket. It was another parchment. It had a very graphic picture of a person with their head on the ground and there body falling, as if they had just been beheaded. "I'm guessing that means dead. So far we have a Pharaoh head, crown, and dead." 

"So we basically have clues that tell us we need to find a Pharaoh, who was King, and who's now dead. Those are great clues! There are only what? One million dead Pharaohs out there? But that doesn't tell us where to go." 

"Maybe it does, let's look at it again." We looked at the picture, but I couldn't get my eyes off the head. It's not like it was a painting, it was an actual picture. I know I've been saying that those clues had been there for many years, but that doesn't mean they couldn't use magic to record something that was happening. If they wanted to take a picture they probably could. 

"Look there." Maddie said. She pointed to the corner of the parchment. "It looks like a Pharaoh in a valley. Let's ask around." 

"Good idea. It's going to be a long train ride anyways. We should all split up and look for the clue." Kendra agreed. She handed me the parchment, which was fine with me, because it would be easier for looking. 

I'm not sure if we were supposed to be walking, but we all got up and started going to different people. I went to some lady that seemed to be reading an English book. "Excuse me," The lady looked up. 

"Yes? How may I help you?" 

"Um, I was wondering if you know where a valley is that could have a Pharaoh in it. Um," I pulled out the parchment and covered the main picture so she could see just the corner of the paper. "Do you know who this is and where it is?" 

"Yes, that's Ramses's the second, and that's the Valley of the Kings. Ramses's tomb is there." 

"Okay thank you, but how do you know all of this?" 

"I am from Canada, but I am doing a study on Pharaohs and Ramses's and Ramses's the second in particular." 

"Okay, well thanks again." I walked back to our seats and waited for the rest of them to come back. If they saw me in the seats, they'd know that I would be done searching, and they knew I wouldn't stop searching until I figured it out. A couple of minutes later Nat came and sat down too. 

"Did you figure it out? I saw you sitting here, but without the picture it was kind of hard to describe it to people." 

"I know, then I remembered that I had the parchment and I happened to stumble across a person who was doing a study on Ramses's the second which is the person that we need to find. He's located in the Valley of the Kings. That's where we need to go." 

"Candace, don't you think it's just a little bit strange that you stumble on the one person who happens to be doing a study on Ramses's the second? That could've been a ghost, and they were trying to figure out where we were going so they could tell Brooke." 

"Oh, are you kidding me? We can't just be lucky for once can we?" 

"Nope." Just then Maddie and Kendra came walking up.

"We need to go to the Valley of the Kings, but we don't know where in it." Maddie said. 

"We have to go to Ramses's the seconds tomb." I told them. They sat down. "Maddie you still have to tell us something." 

"Fine. Have you ever had a family member die, like direct family?" 

"Yes." Nat said quietly. I shook my head. 

"Natalie did you know about magic when that happened?" 

"No." 

"Well, when someone in your direct family dies, you can sometimes visit them in the Land of the Dead. The part we were in was the gruesome part. There is a happy place too. That's where all good magicians go. Well I used to have a younger sister, who was only eight. A couple of months after my parents told all the kids about magic, she died." 

"Wait, so she was only eight when she knew about magic? And Nat and I were eighteen, and our parents didn't tell us?" 

"Yeah, anyways my sister died from ghosts. One night I heard a scream and went running. I went into her room and just as I came in I saw a ghost leaving. I ran to my sister, but it was too late. The ghost had killed her. I only visited her once, a week after she had been killed. She told me that if I were ever to go to the bad place, if I ever made a mistake so terrible that I would die as evil as the others, then all I had to do was make the place seem happy. I had to think of my best memories, the best place on Earth." 

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." Nat said. 

"That's okay. Some unfortunete things happen to certain people. It sucks, but that's life." 

"Now we have to get off this train and onto one that takes us to the Valley of the Kings." Kendra interrupted. "Once we get to the Cairo train station, we can ask at the tourist desk. We'll take a train as close as we can get." We sat in silence all dozing on and off for the rest of the ride. I had just dozed off when we came to a sudden stop. 

"Ah!" I screamed. A couple of people looked at me, but I just ignored them. "Come on guys let's get out of here as soon as possible." We sprinted to the tourist desk so we could see how close we could get to the Valley of the Kings. 

"Excuse me, but do you know if there's a train that goes to the Valley of the Kings?" Nat asked. 

"Yes, there's a train that takes about an hour and a half, but then you'll have to go over by boat to get there." 

"Can we book tickets here?" I asked. 

"Yes, how many?" 

"Four please, and the earliest train possible."

"The next train leaves in two hours." 

"Thanks." We got our tickets and left. We just sat around and waited for the train to come. We had something to eat quickly so we could go and be all energized. 

Finally we could board the train and the train left. I wasn't very tired, because I had a feeling I wouldn't get sleep for a long time if ever again. Something bad was coming, and that something was going to be Brooke.