Chapter 8

I sighed and was sick of how dramatic people were being. I was annoyed with Brooke for probably lying too. There was something missing from her story. Something that Brooke was leaving out of her story. The story didn’t quite add up.

“So, you’re saying that when the ghosts come back again we have no chance.” I said.

“Yeah, pretty much. We barely survived the last war. How do you think we would survive the war with them again when they are so much stronger?”

“Glad to see you have confidence in our powers.” I replied. For a second I wondered if the ghosts were the problem we were facing, but then thought about what my parents had said. They had talked about sorcerers and definitely hadn’t mentioned any ghosts. “If the ghosts aren’t the ones in this war we have to worry about, then what are they doing now?”

“They definitely aren’t.” Brooke said a little too quickly. “There’s no way they could be powerful enough. Right now they’re probably slowly trying to rise. We may run into a ghost or two on this mission, but nothing overly serious. Don’t worry about them.” I wasn’t worrying about them; I was getting worried about Brooke. She seemed to want to convince us that the ghosts were gone, that they wouldn’t do us any harm.

“How long did it take them to rise last time?” Nat asked. She seemed to be catching on to what I was.

“About twenty years since they had last made their stance, and that time they were not powerful at all. Every time they rise they just keep getting stronger and stronger. There’s no way they could be powerful enough though.” Brooke sounded a little upset again.

“Brooke what are you not telling us?” I demanded.

“Nothing! I told you everything!” Brooke replied angrily.

“Clearly not, because if you did you would not be this mad!” I was getting really annoyed. We had been honest and straightforward with Brooke, but she couldn’t even tell us one thing about her past, one thing that could really help us on our mission. “How are we supposed to go on this mission with you if you won’t tell us anything?” I demanded. I wanted to jump to the front of the car and slam on the breaks. I wanted to throw her out of the car and threaten her with magic until she told us what really happened. I was so upset with her; I wanted to see her suffer.

“Candace, don’t even think about it.” Brent warned and he must have known what I wanted to do. He knew my temper more than anyone since he was normally the one I blew up on.

“I can do what I want, Brent.” I snapped. The rest of the way we drove in silence.

“We’re here.” Brooke finally said. It had seemed like forever and I quickly opened the door and then slammed it shut as loud as I could. I stomped off and walked over to the course as fast as I could. I didn’t know how we’d get on without going through security, but everyone was gone. I wondered if Magic had interfered so we could just easily get through.

“Candace, stop acting like this!” Nat was running after me as I stomped away.

“Like what?” I demanded. I knew perfectly well what she had meant, but I didn’t want to admit it. I wasn’t the one not talking about anything or just being annoying and not sharing things that could really help us on the mission.  Nat knew me so well, so she should’ve known what was wrong.

“You know! You can’t expect Brooke to tell us everything right away. We just met her! Can you tell that that is really hard for her to talk about? She already told us most of the story if not all of it, and we don’t want to push her. She’s said more about herself than we have said about ourselves. She told us some crazy story and we just told her why we’re running away.”