Chapter 22

"Wait, you know Maddie?" I asked. 

"Yes, I do. So does your friend Brooke-" 

"She is NOT  a friend." I said right away. No way would anyone say she was a friend of mine. That was the biggest lie I'd heard in awhile. 

"Well friend or not, we still have to kill you so you can cooperate and it'll be a quick death. There is the other option which is fight and it'll be a very slow, painful death. Your choice." 

"Whose ghost are you?" I asked trying to buy some time so I could think of a plan. Are you Khafre's ghost?" 

"No, I'm not Khafre. I'm just a little minor ghost no one has ever heard of. Blah, blah, blah." 

"How were you raised from the dead? I thought you needed a human sacrifice." 

"We did, but the sorcerers have learned a new trick to raise us. One by one. It's a slow process, but we will have it done." 

"Very nice." Nat said sarcastically. "Does Brooke know about this?" 

"Yes, she's our queen as you know. She's the one we go to for resolving things, and passing new laws. We've had an interesting history." 

"How come you were raised first? If you are just a minor ghost and not the most powerful." 

"Because I have powers that are needed at the moment. I was the one who got Brooke to come to our side. I'm more powerful than you think. I'm not the most powerful, but I am pretty good at convincing people, I must say. That's why I was sent for you. They can't tell where you are, but I can now that I'm alive.": 

This guy was pretty funny, and I would've been laughing if the situation wasn't so serious. He was a joke. "You can try to bring us to your side, but you'll never succeed." I said boldly. 

"Really?" Within seconds Nat, Maddie, and I were all tied to chairs. 

"How-" Nat started to ask. 

"Our side is very powerful. More powerful than you thought." He paused dramatically. "Now, we have a little presentation for you. This is how it works, you stay tied to a chair unless you chose to join our side. Tricking, laughing, and eating are not permitted during the presentation." I almost burst out laughing at that, but I decided that he was pretty convincing and his voice sounded so inviting. I tried to block him out. It didn't work. His voice made everything sound so happy and fun, besides being inviting. 

"There are some major upsides to joining our side. The first one is any past grudges, well we don't care if you kill them or not! You have so much freedom, you only have to talk to me, Kagi, or Brooke and you can go ahead and kill them. You probably can't kill someone on our side, but sometimes it can be permitted. Now, you also have unlimited power. You could be so powerful, you could take over the whole world! That is with a little bit of help. You also can never die. Physically you can, but then you just become a ghost, and ghost's can't die. Although you will have some sudden cravings for KFC and you can't trace people, but anyways...you could be a leader over everyone! You can do things however you please, you can use dark magic and become better at magic really quickly. All you would have to do is fight. You will be expected of that and if you're not a good fighter, we'll send you to try and kill magicians on the opposing side. Now any-wait, I also forgot that you will be able to take vacations whenever you want. I once went to Hawaii, beautiful place. Any questions?" The ghost asked. 

None of us answered. 

"Perfect. Now then I also do have to tell you the tinny tiny things that aren't great about our side. You can not see family again, and you can never leave training until you pass the test, or until we send you on a mission to kill some magicians. Any other questions, or anything you would like to add?"