Chapter 23

I woke up to the sound of beepers "What? Where am I?" I asked. I wasn't asking to anyone in particular, just someone who would answer. 

"Candace, are you okay?" Nat asked. She was sitting by my bed with Maddie as a purse and our backpacks. 

"My shoulder really hurts!" Then I remembered Mohammad! Oh he was really funny, but quite annoying. 

"You had to have surgery." Nat said. 

"WHAT?" I asked loudly. Nurses came, but Nat told them she was just telling me that I had surgery. 

"Yeah." Nat looked around for any nurses who were still waiting around. There wasn't any. "After you did the kill spell you almost died. That takes so much power, and you also had your shoulder to deal with. I didn't want to try to use the life spell, because if I was weak and couldn't move you, then you would've died." 

"Thanks for saving my life." 

"No, problem I was just returning the favour. We're even now." 

"What about the pyramids?" I asked. I couldn't help think of the mission. 

"I left as quick as I could. I made up a story about some crazy guy stabbing you with a knife in the shoulder. I said I tried calling for help which I did right after we exited the pyramids. They have the police looking for some crazy guy that stabbed you with a knife." 

"Seriously? Nice on Nat, but we have to go back." I demanded. That was my only request. 

"Candace you came so close to dying. You should've died. Just like Brent when he hurt his neck, you both cheated death. You had surgery like three hours ago. You shouldn't be awake yet, or feeling able to talk. There's no way we're going back to the pyramids yet." 

"I know I shouldn't be alive, but I am. So let's hurry the process up of me getting better and let's go!" 

"I promised the nurse that I'd let the nurses talk to you once I explained what happened to you. I'm going to do that right now. Stay right there." 

As soon as Nat left, I did the natural thing, I tried to get up. I swung my legs over the bed and tried to lift my body up. I felt a bit fuzzy, but I tried to stand up. I would've fallen over if I hadn't grabbed my bed post. 

Just then the nurse came in followed by Nat. "Candace dear, sit down! You'll strain yourself." She rushed over to my side and helped me sit down, and then lay down. "My name is Gloria and I will be your nurse while you're here." 

"How long will I be here?" I asked. I was so eager to get out. I didn't like sitting around. 

"Now Candace, we can't rush things. You just had surgery!" 

"I know, but when do you think I can go?" 

"Probably in a week or so." 

'A WEEK?" I yelled. "I want to leave tomorrow or even today! Not in a week, not in seven whole days! We're on a schedule here." 

"Natalie told me you were on vacation. I know it sucks, but honey you have a broken shoulder. That crazy man who stabbed you, stabbed you right through your bone. You're one lucky girl. You should've died." 

"So I've been told, but you don't understand!" 

"Can I talk to her please?" Nat asked. 

"Sure, please help her. I think she's in shock." Gloria said, even though I could hear her. "Come and get me when you're done talking, or if you need me." 

"Okay thank you." As soon as Gloria was gone Nat pulled out here wand. "You're all over the news! Well your story is not you. Brent and Brooke might put the pieces together. They haven't said your name, but they might figure out that it was you and the story is fake! Things like that don't just happen. We have to go to the pyramids tomorrow night again. I know where the thing we're looking for is. It's in Khufu's tomb. Khafre's dad. I found it while I was trying to get you out."