Prologue (Revised)

That night, she was human again. She glanced down and saw her real hands and feet, her real arms and legs, and could even feel her heart beating. The woman knew that only one part of her did not resemble a human: her eyes which were ghostly white and looked like dim light bulbs in the dark night.

The woman had left her homeland, the land she had lived in for a thousand years: a land for magicians, a land for the dead. For centuries she had been a mere presence guiding magicians a long, but that night she was resurrected from the dead, tasked with giving a baby her blessing, a baby who possessed extensive powers.

The woman glanced up at the second story window where the baby slept. She floated up to it, as if gently lifted by an unseen hand. She peered into the room where a small night light sat aglow. Aside from the pink crib and a matching changing table, the room was empty.

She surveyed the midnight scenery around her, her ghostly eyes grazing over the many houses and small playground: eyes that could detect human like a heat sensor detecting fire. Her delicate ears listened for the snap of branches, but she only heard impenetrable silence. Then she slipped through the small window and crept over to the pink crib.

As the baby slept, she looked so innocent, so happy. The infant was so oblivious of her future. Sorrow overwhelmed the woman, knowing what the child would go through. She had a difficult and dangerous journey ahead of her.

The woman closed her glowing eyes and the future flashed before her. The once golden sand was coated in red and lifeless bodies littered the area. Flashes of magic lit up the dark sky and the leader finally fell. The battle had been won. The woman shuddered, as she saw what would happen, what the baby would do.

The woman focused on the baby's calm face again and smiled as she saw the light brown fuzz that reminded her of her own hair when she was a child. The baby girl was the one.

The woman felt her powers draining and quickly put her hands over the sleeping baby and said five simple words: “I give you my blessing.” A golden tendril of smoke flowed out of the woman’s mouth and as soon as it touched the baby she glowed. Her brown eyes momentarily opened and then closed again as the child fell back asleep.

The woman glanced down at herself and sighed when she saw her pale, transparent skin and colourless robes, at her ghostly presence that would remain until the end of time. The woman was Magic and she had just blessed the most powerful magician who would ever walk the earth.

A/N: Improvisus is now under revision so this is the first part I've added to the book. I will slowly be adding and changing the chapters again so stay tuned to the chapters and see if Improvisus will be updated again soon. I am going to have revised in brackets if the chapter has been revised, and a chapter ends at a weird spot, that just means that I'm going to update the next part soon, and if the chapter names are messed up, it's once again because I will be updating soon! :)Thanks so much to my lovely readers!! Enjoy your reading! :) 

And my amazing cover was made by @le_beautiful_monster!