Chapter 12

The next morning, when I woke up, I decided to try for another walk. My legs were stiff again and needed to move, and the only thing that could cure stiff legs was walking. So I threw my covers back, and decided to walk around. This time I hoped someone would come in and see me walking. They needed proof that I was better and that I could leave. I also hoped I would wake Nat up, because I wanted to talk to her about something. It was a topic that had been left alone for too long: what were we going to do with Brent?

After walking a few laps and no one waking up, I just sat down on my bed again and pulled the covers up again. I wondered when I would finally be able to do something. I forgot what sunshine looked like and what it felt to be outside. I was tempted to walk out the door and just go for a walk through the hospital, but decided against it.

Finally after what seemed like weeks, I heard Nat moving around in her chair. I looked over at her and she stood up. “Hey Nat.” I didn’t even care if we woke Brooke up, because she had slept long enough, and I still wasn’t a huge fan of her.

“Hi Candace, how’s your leg?”

“Great, want to see something?” She nodded, so I threw my covers back again and got up. I walked around the room.

“Oh man, Candace! That worked wonders didn’t it? Now we just need a nurse to come in and see you. When do they come? When’s Dr. Jeremiah coming to see how your leg is?”

“I’m not sure.” I glanced at the clock and gasped. It was eleven o’clock already. “I think the nurses already checked on me. I probably missed my appointment with Dr. Jeremiah. He’ll probably come and do my checkup this afternoon.”

Nat glanced at the clock. “Wow, we had a good sleep.” I heard movement from the other side of the room and I saw Brooke sit up in bed, which reminded me of the conversation Nat and I needed to have.

“Nat I need to talk to you about something.” I walked over to the corner opposite of Brooke’s bed, so we could be furthest away from her. I could feel her eyes following us as we walked to the corner.

“What is it?” Nat whispered.

“Well, I was just thinking about what to do with Brent. I know he’s supposed to come on the mission, but he never visited me once, and he and Brooke are in love. That will probably slow us down, and I don’t want to be slowed down. We need to go. This has already been a huge delay, and we really can’t afford another one!”

“I know Candace, but do you remember how your parents said he would play a huge part in your future? We can’t get rid of him. If he saves your life, it’s not worth getting rid of him no matter how annoying he is and no matter how much of a jerk he is.”

I heard footsteps and glanced over. I saw Brooke coming. “I thought we said no secrets, you two.” Brooke sounded offended.

“This is different. Maybe it has nothing to do with this mission; maybe it’s something from school, or something about our parents that doesn’t concern you.” I snapped. I know I had said that, but I didn’t care now. This was something different.

“Is it about the mission?”

“Yes, it is, but it doesn’t concern you. You don’t need to know about this.”

“Candace, Natalie, I’m part of this mission. If you two are making plans about it, I need to know. I need to know what’s coming.”

“We’re only figuring out what to do with Brent, okay? You are not part of this decision.” I decided to tell her, so that she would go away. Unfortunately that plan didn’t work. She didn’t go away.