Chapter 10

Beep…beep…beep…beep.

“What?” I croaked as I opened my eyes. I looked around and saw that I was in a hospital. Why was I in a hospital? What happened to me?

“Hey Candace, good to see you woke up.” Some familiar looking girl said, but I couldn’t quite figure out who it was, and how did the girl know my name?

“Um who are you?” I had no idea why that girl was talking to me. She seemed to know me, but I was sure I didn’t know her.

“Candace, I’m Natalie,” I definitely didn’t know a Natalie. I would’ve remembered. “Nat, you know your best friend?” I assumed I was Candace, because that Natalie girl had addressed me twice, and both times she had said Candace.

“Am I Candace?”

“Yeah, you are. Candace Brown.” Natalie had a blank look on her face. “I’m going to get the doctor to see if you can….leave soon.” She sounded worried, but I had no idea why. I didn’t even know why I was in the hospital and why Natalie was there. I didn’t even know her! Why would she be in the hospital with me? My head hurt, but I figured it was just a bad headache. Probably from the beeping monitors, and my legs and arms felt like they’d been sunburned, but there was no need to go to the hospital for a minor sunburn.

I heard footsteps enter the room. “Hello Miss Brown.” I guess I had to share a room with someone else. I didn’t know who Miss Brown was. I wondered if she was a nice person, and when she would go and when I could go. “Hello? Candace?”

“Oh hi.” Apparently Miss Brown never answered him. She was probably sleeping. “Who’s Miss Brown and why is there a girl I don’t know named Natalie here? How come she was here when I woke up? I didn’t know that hospitals let strangers in.” I had so many questions to ask. “Why does my head hurt and why am I in the hospital for just minor sunburns?”

“Slow down there, Candace. We have a lot to talk about. Just so you know I am Doctor Jeremiah, and I’m going to be your doctor while you’re here, okay? The reason you’re in the hospital is because you suffered a concussion and your arms and legs are mildly burnt, but burns are very painful. They’re something that has to be watched. The reason you don’t know a lot of things, or remember why you came here is because you have amnesia.”

Amnesia? No, there was no way. I didn’t understand why he thought that. “Well who is Miss Brown and who is Natalie?” I demanded. I wanted to know the people I shared a room with, and the random girl who was watching me.

“You are Miss Brown, and Natalie is your best friend. She saved your life. If she hadn’t been there to save you from those gangs on the streets, you’d be dead. You have to be more careful around those parts, Candace.”

“I thought my name was Candace, not Miss Brown. And I was definitely not attacked by any gangs! I would’ve definitely remembered that much!”

“Yes, your first name is Candace and your last name is Brown.” Then he sat down on my bed and I scooted over away from him. I didn’t like this guy, he was mean and he creeped me out. Of course as I moved my legs killed, but I didn’t let the pain show. I bet if anything that was the guy who had put me in the hospital. “As for the gang part, you wouldn’t remember it. You didn’t even know who you were when you woke up, so you definitely wouldn’t remember the fact that a gang attacked you. What happened was some gang swarmed you and you were pushed around a lot. You hit your head on the ground, and was unconscious. The guys were drunk and they thought it would be funny to see you burn, so they lit a fire around you. Natalie came just to see you hit your head and then she got you out of the fire, before it was too serious. Your other friend, Brooke, was attacked with you. She suffered some more serious burns, but nothing too bad. Miss Genstine-er Natalie, will be in shortly. Then you can rest up. Your concussion is pretty serious, and it won’t get better unless you sleep. You can’t strain yourself, so you’ll be bedridden for a few weeks.” He got up off my bed, to my relief, and I relaxed a little. “Oh and when you wake up then your friend Brooke will be in here too. It will be much more convenient for Natalie and Brent.” He nodded his head. “Good day, Miss Brown.” I had no idea who Brooke or Brent was. I barely knew who Natalie was and she saved my life.