Chapter 6

“CANDACE!” Nat was yelling in my ear.

“What? I kind of drifted off there. Sorry about that.”

“What happened? You were shaking pretty bad.”

“I had a flashback to the day,” I paused because I didn’t want my eyes to water. “To the day when Luke died.”  Then a thought came into my head and I turned to Brent, as I remembered his foot. “Brent what exactly happened to your foot the day at the hospital?”

“I sprained my ankle and my foot was really bruised and banged up. Do you not remember me taking off of football?”

“No, sorry I have a very short term memory. Did Doug ever apologize to you? Did he even mention the moment again to you or seem to be trying to find a way to kill you too?” I asked, as another idea formed in my head.

“Well he does seem to stare at me sometimes, but he has an attention issue and he can suddenly be staring at one place for a while.”

“I think that Doug was trying to be your friend and trying to be around you more so he could kill you next. He must’ve known you would be powerful and then he wanted to kill you so that he would get you out of the way before you learned about magic. For some reason Doug’s trying to kill our family and I think that he is a monster or ghost.”  I finished my idea and I was proud of myself.

“No, I never did think about that. How could I have been so dumb? Of course he would try to kill me or find some way that would weaken me.” He shook his head. “No wonder he was suddenly so friendly with me. I shouldn’t have been friends with him.” He looked so ashamed. “I can’t believe I was becoming friends with the person that killed my brother!”

“Well now you know, and just never talk to him again. He goes to a different school so don’t worry about it and just never talk to him again.”

“Yeah I don’t plan to.” I nodded. I always liked my points being right and if Brent accepted my points then I knew it was good.

“Did your foot by any chance heal really fast?” I was somehow on a role for good ideas.

“Yeah it actually did. For some reason it only took three weeks to heal completely and then I could play football again and it should’ve taken a lot longer, but I didn’t really think about it.”

“I’m wondering if maybe Mom or Dad came in and healed your foot, because they probably felt bad for you. You’d lost your twin and you couldn’t play football. They probably wanted you to get you to do something to forget about losing Luke, and I think when you have magic in your body you heal a lot faster than the average person.”

Brent nodded and we stood in silence for a few minutes. “Guys, I hate to cut this moment short but we really need to get going. We can talk more on the way to the airport, but who knows when Steve or Emma will wake up and then our luck they will come down here and we’re done.”

“Yeah you’re right Nat sorry about that. Nat do you have any cheerleading friends that would have a car?”

“Friends, no, but there are some people on the cheerleading team that do have cars. Brooke is probably the only person that I would have a chance at being allowed to borrow their car. Most of them don’t like me and don’t share very well.”

“Okay, I think she lives a few blocks away, right?” I asked. Nat nodded. “Okay, well we might as well go there since we have nowhere else to go.” So we began to walk to Brooke’s subdivision. Brooke had been on the cheerleading team with Nat for as long as I could remember and Nat and I sometimes talked her, but most of the time Brooke hung out with the rest of the cheerleading squad. She was sort of nice, but she was also stuck up around her cheerleading friends.