Chapter 14

“Candace, wait.” Brent called after me. “I’ll come.” I was almost upset. Now I didn’t want him to come.

“Then get your stuff right now, because I’m not waiting for more than five minutes. If you don’t hurry then I will leave.” I paused then added, “And if I ever hear one more thing about you making plans for this mission without Nat or I, then you will be gone before you can say gone.”

“Yeah I get it Candace. I’ll be back in a few.” I sat down in the hall and waited. I made sure that I could see the clock, because if Brent was so much as a second late, I would be long gone.

Finally after about four minutes Brent came out and we went to the front desk to check him out. The worker gave me a dirty look and I just smiled at him.

“Well are you leaving today, sir?” The guy at the front desk whose name tag said Tim.

“There’s a reason I’m checking out.” I smirked. Apparently Tim wasn’t very well liked around the hotel.

“Just trying to be friendly.” Tim muttered. Then he turned to me. “If you ever take off through my hotel again, I will call the police.”

“Are you threatening me? Because I don’t like to be threatened.” I threatened back. I wouldn’t leave letting Tim think that he had scared me.

“Yes ma’am I was.” At least he used ma’am. “Now good day, sir.” He ignored me, but that was fine with me. I didn’t mind being ignored. I was pretty used to it

The second we stepped out of the doors Brent dropped his stuff and pinned me to the wall. I looked around for Nat, but of course she was nowhere to be seen. “What do you want Brent?” I choked. It was hard to talk since Brent had his arm over my throat. He grabbed his wand and I reached up for mine, but his arm blocked me.

“Disputatio.” Talk, he said. “Where is Brooke?” I thought about my anger for him and I knew I wouldn’t answer the question, so I didn’t. He backed away from me. “How did you do that?” I grabbed my wand from the air and pointed it at him.

“If you as much as move a finger, I will kill you.” Now I could see Brent looking scared.

“Candace, don’t be unreasonable. Can we just talk about this for a second?”

“Now that you’re the one at risk you’re willing to talk, but if you want to talk go ahead, explain yourself.” I decided to give him a chance, which was more than he should’ve gotten.

“Well, I just know you so I never would’ve figured out what happened to Brooke and I wanted to know. Is that too much to ask? I just wanted to know where my….friend is.” I knew he was going to say girlfriend, but then thought better of it which was smart.

“You will never ever use magic on me again. This is your last warning. I gave you one before and next time you use magic on me, you will be dead. You cannot use magic on me ever again, do you understand.” My voice was very low and even and I added my warning tone to it. I could see the fear in Brent’s eyes, and even though I was smaller than him, I could be a lot more intimidating.

I lowered my wand and shoved Brent as hard as I could and since he was taken by surprise he fell. His eyes were full of fear now. “I thought you were going to kill me.” Brent said quieter. That’s when it hit me. Was I about to kill my brother over something as stupid as that? I felt ashamed, I was scared. What was I turning into? The way I was going it seemed like I would be the one to betray the mission. I felt like I should die, I deserved to die more than Brent, Nat, or Chad. I wished I could take the place of all three. “You weren’t going to were you?”