163

Colby and I both bolted up as Maisie started crying. I looked over at Colby in fear as he clenched his jaw and got out of bed, reaching into the nightstand and grabbing two hand guns.

"Get the kids and hide." He said with determination then tossed me a gun.

"Colby." I said as he quickly made his way out of the room. "Fuck." I said then got out of bed and quickly made my way to Maisie.

"Shhh...it's okay. You're okay." I whispered and pulled her into my arms before quickly making my way out of the room so I could get all the kids.

I decided it would be best to bring the older kids to Juniper's room since holding both of the little ones seemed nearly impossible.

I just needed to act quickly because I needed all of the kids to be safe.

"Julia, what's going on?" Carter asked as he and Jenna stood in the hallway with confusion. "Go to Juniper's room. I need to get Sam." I explained with a serious tone as they nodded and did as I said.

I was grateful neither of them tried to argue, because we just didn't have time for that. I would explain ti to them when I knew they were safe.

"It's okay, sweetie. Shhh." I whispered, desperately trying to calm Maisie down as I went into Sam's room.

"Jule, what's wrong?" He asked groggily as he woke up. "I'll explain later, just hurry up and come on." I said as he nodded and quickly got out bed.

As we made our way to towards Juniper's room, I could hear loud crashes downstairs which stressed me out because I was scared for Colby.

When we got to Juniper's room the alarm system cut off, causing my heart to stop.

"Sissy, I'm scared." Juniper said as I nodded. "I know, love. I'm not gonna let anything happen to you." I said then looked at Jenna.

"Can you hold her for a second?" I asked as she nodded, holding her arms out.

I kissed Maisie on the head then gently handed her over to Jenna.

Once she was settled, I went towards the closet and started clearing enough space for the kids to hide in there.

I needed to work fast though because I could hear more and more commotion with every passing second.

"I need you guys to listen to me." I said with a serious tone. "No matter what happens out here, I need you to stay in here with Maisie." I said and pointed to the closet.

"Don't do anything stupid, Julia." Jenna warned as my eyes watered with emotion.

"Please just...get in there and hide." I said then went over to Juniper and grabbed her so I could bring her towards the closet.

"Sissy, is Colby dead?" She asked as I shook my head. "No, love. He's protecting us." I said as gunshots sounded from downstairs, sending a shiver down my spine.

"We have to hurry." I said as the house grew silent once again. The only sounds were Maisie whimpering in Jenna's arms.

I watched as the kids got situated then sat Juniper on Carter's lap. "Be silent and cover her ears." I said and gestured to Maisie then closed the door.

My heart was beating out of my chest, the sound of the blood sloshing around filled my ears as I waited in anticipation for Colby to open the door and say the coast was clear.

Unfortunately it just wasn't the case.

I stared at the door as I unclipped the safety and waited. There were sounds of heavy footsteps coming closer and closer and with every passing second I could feel the fear climbing up my throat.