41: Accident

Haeguk had the phone pressed to her ear talking to the patient's family mentioned on the list. Eunwoo, Hyunjin, Taehyun, Jungkook's parents and some of the bodyguards were helping them contact the families. But till now, none of them agreed. 

"Please, ma'am," Haeguk croaked through the line, sitting for hours, talking to different people, hoping that someone would agree to help. "Haeguk!" Eunwoo screamed and she turned to him, along with the others. "She agreed!" He said and she immediately hung up on the current call and ran to him.

"Hello," she cried out and spoke to the old lady who agreed to donate her son's heart.

A ray of hope beamed.

But the flickering of the date in the book increased more.

-

"Thank you so much. I will forever be grateful to you." Haeguk said to the older lady and patted the box that was supposed to be taken back to the hospital. The surgical team was ready in Jungkook's hospital.

Currently, Haeguk is with a nurse who's holding the box. "Don't worry. My son would've wanted the same too. I'm just happy to be able to see that my son's sacrifice is able to save someone's life." The mother said and Haeguk cried, holding her hands gently into hers.

"It will not only save a single life. But mine as well. I cannot survive without him. Thank you. Thank you so much for donating this." Haeguk said and the lady nodded. The nurse grabbed their attention. "Ma'am, we have to take this back within four hours. Time is running out."

The lady patted Haeguk's shoulder. "Go. Don't waste time. Save your love." She said with a smile. Haeguk nodded, bowing at her but then followed the nurse. She walked inside the ambulance with the box, signaling the driver to get ready.

"We have a green corridor prepared. So don't worry, Miss. We will reach on time." The driver informed Haeguk before she climbed into the ambulance. They shut the door while Haeguk tried to touch the box carrying the to-be transplanted heart in it. The ambulance started moving.

Silent tears rolled down her face at the thought of Jungkook going through so much pain but she will do anything to save him. Everything. And anything. To save Jungkook.

She had several questions to ask. So many confusing things happening around her but all she wanted now was Jungkook's recovery.

Nothing else mattered.

The ambulance halted suddenly. She frowned and looked up at the nurse who had the same look of confusion adorned in her features. "It wasn't supposed to stop though. We had a clear pathway for this." She said. Haeguk bit her lips, fiddling with her fingers in nervousness.

The nurse was getting impatient since they had to take the organ back to the hospital as soon as possible. There wasn't supposed to be a stop on their way. A green corridor was made for the smooth drive between the transplant center and the hospital.

"I'll go and check," she said to Haeguk before getting out of the ambulance. Haeguk peeled the string of skin from the side of the nail, blood oozing out of it as tears escaped her blurry eyes.

While, outside the ambulance, across the road, the same man who was sitting with Jimin yesterday was standing with his eyes fixed on the nurse and the driver, calling someone on their phones since the ambulance broke down.

Because of the Grim Reaper's power.

Yes, he was the one who caused the ambulance to break down in the middle of the crossroads. His eyes were fixed on the ambulance but then he noticed a truck approaching the ambulance. He raised his hand, controlling something.

The driver of the truck noticed the ambulance in front of his way. So he tried to turn his steering wheel but it was stuck. His eyes furrowed and he tried to press on the breaks but he gasped when he noticed that it wasn't working either.

He frantically pressed on the horn. The honking of the truck dragged the attention of the nurse and the driver, their eyes doubled in size at the approaching truck. "The lady is still inside!" The nurse screamed and tried to run to the back door but the driver pulled her, both of them falling back to the ground immediately since the truck was closer to the ambulance.

Everything happened in the blink of an eye, the truck hit the ambulance, crashing into it, the glass windows of the ambulance and the truck shattering and falling to the ground. The truck driver hit his head on the steering wheel as the truck skidded forward while pushing the ambulance with it for a few seconds until it stopped.

The nurse covered her face in shock along with the driver at the scene. People gathered all around, whispering and some looked at the scene in horror. The driver rose to his feet and rushed to the back door.

The nurse too stood on her heels and walked towards the back of the now crushed ambulance from the side. The driver tried to open the dented door, hoping everything was fine inside.

But all their hopes were drained when they saw Haeguk on the ambulance floor, injured from the huge blow, probably on her head, lying in a pool of her own blood. Her eyes shut, no motion in her body, and her hands wrapped around the box that could still save Jungkook's life.

The Grim Reaper sighed at the scene and looked down until a hand tapped on his shoulder. He didn't have to look at it. He knew it was Jimin. He slowly turned around and saw Jimin, showing him the same book.

But now it showed a page with Haeguk's image on it. The date of her death flickered. And changed to today. Jimin looked at the Grim Reaper and smiled slightly at him before mumbling,

"Thank you for helping them, Yoongi."

********************

How many of your jaws dropped?