13: Uncertain Warmth

1362 AD

"Study? Here too?" Haeguk giggles nervously at the maid and then at Yeji who nods. They were crossing a bridge while the maid was holding an umbrella for her. Not a normal umbrella the ones they use in ancient times.

Haeguk sees Jungkook approaching them with Eunwoo from the front and instantly an idea lights up her brain. She smirks before using her hands to fan herself and taking heavy breaths. "Isn't it too hot?" She asks.

Yeji sighs and looks up at the flaming sun. "It is indeed very hot today." She mumbles and Haeguk takes a sharp breath when she sees Jungkook almost close to her but he wasn't looking at her but paying attention to the papers that Eunwoo was showing him.

She groans but still, he doesn't look up so she closes her eyes and pretends to fall, expecting her body to touch the ground but a hand on her back stops her from doing so. She doesn't open her eyes but Jungkook pulls her up with a serious face without staring at her face earning gasps from the three others.

He rests her head on his chest and she flutters one eye open to see Jungkook still looking in the front with a stoic face, not even sparing a single glance at her. He bends down, wrapping his other arm under the bend of her knees before lifting her off the ground in his arms.

She doesn't wrap her arms around his neck because she was 'pretending' to faint. "I'll take her to her quarters," Jungkook speaks in a rough tone because of the maid. Yeji and Eunwoo who are passing concerned looks at Haeguk and nod together immediately. 

Jungkook slowly walks forward, towards Haeguk's room, paying no heed to the few noblemen and soldiers, looking at them in concern. He reaches the destination and opens the door to her room, strolling to her bed and placing her on it. 

He turns around, walking back to the door. Haeguk smiles internally, knowing that he will leave after bringing her here. That's when she heard the door close. 

"Stop pretending, Hae. Wake up."

She opens her eyes and looks at Jungkook, approaching her after closing the door. He takes a seat beside her on the bed and grabs the rag that was kept on the small table beside her bed. He holds it in his hand, the other one grabbing Haeguk's face gently and dabbing the cloth on it to soak away the sweat.

Haeguk looks at his blank face that is busy looking at her forehead to remove the sweat. "You really look like my mother," she says and Jungkook darts his eyes to her immediately. "You still hate me." He says but Haeguk frowns.

"I never hate you." She admits and he sighs before leaning forward. She hisses at their proximity but doesn't break the eye contact. They exchange each other's breath now that they are so close. He takes a sharp breath and his eyes droop down to her chapped lips.

"If you don't hate me then why don't you kiss me?" He asks and looks up to meet her shocked orbs. "W-What?" He looks at her.

"You aren't behaving with me like you used to. It feels like you're holding back for some reason. Is it because you lost your memory?" He asks and she swears that she could see the ocean of sadness in his brown eyes. He gulps a thick lump forming in his throat to hold in his sobs.

He might be a fearless warrior but he is weak for her. "Is it because you like someone else suddenly?" He asks.

Haeguk wanted to scream that it was indeed someone else whom she liked. But that person was Jungkook too. But in the other place. But then this Jungkook would call her crazy.

"You really hate me, don't you, Hae?" He asks, eyes boring dangerous emotions into her mind as she feels herself drowing. "Answer me, Princess Haeguk." He presses even more.

She could feel his chest against hers. His heartbeat is running a tremendous marathon against his. She shakes her head. "I don't hate you. I could never."

His heart eased at the thought but still was pacing quickly. "If you don't hate me then can you like me back a little bit?" He asks before he slams his lips against hers. 

Haeguk gasps at his actions but he recognises these soft pair of lips. Those were her Jungkook's lips that she was addicted to.

The same pair of lips that took her first kiss. The same pair of lips that gave her morning kisses. The same ones which bit onto her when he was angry at her. The same pair of lips that fits her. The same ones synced with hers.

The pair of soft lips that sealed her in a bond of eternity ever since it met with hers.

The same ones were kissing her right now. She does recognize them.

And involuntarily hers react to his, kissing him back with equal passion and emotion. The emotion of love. Deep, undying, and unconditional love.

He continues to kiss her, tilting his head to deepen the kiss when he feels her response through her kisses. He smiles not in pride for getting her to kiss him back but in happiness that he could figure out, her genuinely involved emotions in the kiss.

His Haeguk. Her Jungkook. Their each other.

Forever.

In the past.

In the future.

Two lifetimes. Worth it.

"I love you, Hae."

****************

How beautiful *adds tragedy* 🤩