3: Back in Time

1362 AD

Haeguk gasped taking a big breath and getting up from the water's surface to peek her head out. She could easily balance herself on the water. She flapped her hands and looked around to see herself among a lot of people.

Naked people. To be more specific,

Shirtless men!

She felt someone's head behind her so she slowly turned around and so did the other person to face her. And both of their eyes widened and they screamed. "Ahh!" She pushed him away.

The man started screaming. "Hey, you! You! What are you doing here?" The deep voice asked but Haeguk had her eyes squeezed shut. "Why is there a girl? Why is she here? Guards!" The other men screamed but she turned around to her side when she heard someone whisper yelling.

"Your Highness! Your Highness!" She saw Hyunjin but he was a girl now. She frowned and looked at his attire and long hair. He signaled her with his hand, hiding behind a rock to follow him.

"It's a girl! It's a girl!" Many men screamed.

Haeguk quickly flapped her hands, moving her legs somehow to reach Hyunjin. "Hurry!" She heard Hyunjin but he sounded like a girl too. "Hey, stop right there!" The deep voice rasped but she moved towards Hyunjin who pulled her behind the rock and made her follow a small passage inside a cave.

"This is not the time for this. Hurry." Hyunjin pulled her away from the place, holding her hand. "What are we going to do? Faster. Goodness!" He said and the light appeared as they found themselves out of the cave. "You did not come up for a long time. I knew something was wrong. The King and princes had started bathing and I couldn't even go looking for you."

She looked around at the people taking baths. But all of them were wearing old clothes. Hanboks. All of them.

"This is insane. Hurry up! Let's go! You are feeling okay now, aren't you, your highness?" He asked and she looked at him under the sunlight clearly. He looked like Hyunjin but not like Hyunjin.

Your Highness? Kings? Princes? This is strange how did I end up here?

"Do you know me?" She asked him and he tilted his head in confusion. "What?"

"This doesn't look like the park. What am I doing here?" She asked and Hyunjin gasped, "Your Highness. What do you mean by that?"

"What is this place?" Haeguk asked and Hyunjin touched her forehead in confusion, "You really don't remember? I am Yeji. Hwang Yeji. You are Princess Kang Haeguk of Kaesong. Don't you remember?"

Haeguk gasped and looked around. "Kaesong? Where is that? Wait! Why am I wearing a hanbok?" She asked and looked at Hyunjin. "You are Hwang Hyunjin not Hwang Yeji! Why are you pranking me?"

"Pranking? W-What is that?" Yeji asked in confusion but Haeguk started laughing, "Don't make it funny. Where is this place?"

"Oh, Lord Buddha. Please, did you hit your head somewhere, Your Highness?" Yeji asked and Haeguk frowned, "Buddha? Wait! Kaesong? Huh?" She turned around at the people around and then back at Yeji.

"Is this Afterlife? I was drowning in the fountain."

"Fountain? Oh no, you have seriously lost your memory. Do you remember your name?" Haeguk nodded. "Kang Haeguk?" Yeji sighed and joined her hands. "Thank lord Buddha. But you don't remember me?"

"Hwang Hyunjin?" Yeji shook her head, "Hwang Yeji." Haeguk scratched her head. "Think carefully. What is happening? You need to do it, Haeguk." She mumbled to herself.

"Your Highness? Why are you talking to yourself?" Yeji asked in horror and Haeguk looked at her with narrowed eyes, "I am going to ask you some questions." Yeji nodded slowly.

"What do you mean by smartphone?" Yeji frowned and blinked her eyes, "Smart fone? Smart means intelligent. What is a fone? Is it another word for 'idea'? Like a smart idea? Smartphone?"

"Next question. Fuck you! What do you think I'm telling you?" Haeguk asked calmly and Yeji smiled at her, "Fuck sounds like a flower to me. Are you referring to me as a flower?"

Haeguk's jaws dropped and she gulped before asking more, "Who runs the government- No wait. You mentioned King. Do we have a king?" Yeji pressed her lips and looked at Haeguk in panic.

"Don't you remember, Your Highness? You don't remember your father? Kang Taemoo? The ruler of Kaesong?" Yeji asked and Haeguk fell to the ground. "Your Highness!" Yeji crouched down beside Haeguk and held her by her shoulders.

"Kang Taemoo?" Haeguk asked and Yeji nodded. "Is this the Goryeo Dynasty?" Yeji nodded slowly. "Wasn't he the last ruler of Goryeo?" Yeji gasped.

"Your Highness, how can you say that about your own father? I know you hate him to the core but you shouldn't say that about him out here in public. The people of Kaesong love their king." Yeji whispered in her ears.

"What are you to me?" Haeguk asked and Yeji smiled, "I am your most loyal servant, Hwang Yeji. Although I am more of a friend to you."

"Will you believe me if I say you that I came from the future?" Yeji shook her head and Haeguk sighed, "But I did."

Suddenly people started screaming from elsewhere. The sound of the horses neighing and running toward them could be heard. "It's the General! It's the General! It's the Kaesong army!" People screamed and Yeji tightened her grip on Haeguk, "Oh no! He is here! We are doomed!"

Haeguk turned to her with raised eyebrows, "He? Who?" Yeji was about to answer but the horse neighed, raising its hoof in the air. Haeguk squealed in horror as the person riding it was looking like a shadow because of the sun shining right above him.

"General Jeon! We are sorry!" Yeji stood up. Haeguk's eyes widened at the mention of the surname but then he quickly turned to face the man looking at her with fierce eyes,

"Jeon Jungkook?"

****************

This scene might remind you of Moon lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo but this story is no way similar to that

This scene might remind you of Moon lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo but this story is no way similar to that. I just took the inspiration of this scene from there to know about how people lived at that time. I didn't even complete the first episode so be rest assured.