23: Crowned Prince

1362 AD

Jungkook sighed and shook his head while the entire hall was filled with cheers and sounds of trumpets. "Crowned Price Jeon is here! All hail the future King! He's finally returning back to the throne!" The announcer exclaimed and everyone screamed in enthusiasm.

Jungkook had no reaction on his face but he slowly raised his hand in the air, the cheers dying down. "This isn't the time to celebrate my return. We have a bigger trouble." He said and his father gave him a look of concern.

"What kind of trouble? And where is Princess of Kaesong? You abandoned your own kingdom to be a general at Kaesong army when you were a young boy and gave up your princely amenities to live a life of a militant there just to be close to her. Now you're giving it all up and returning back here?" His father asked, standing up from his throne.

"We are married, father. Haeguk and I vowed to each other in front of the holy Namu of the East." Jungkook mentioned and the hall was filled with gasps. "What? You married her? Where is my daughter-in-law?" He screamed.

"In the cottage right on the border of the kingdom. I came here to seek your permission to bring her here—"

"Soldiers! Prepare the carriage!"

Everyone turned to look at the queen of Haesong entering the hall. She smiled at Jungkook who returned her smile. "I'll be ready with the rituals to welcome both of you. Quickly take the carriage and bring her safe." She said and Jungkook bowed at her.

"Queen Jeon!" Everyone bowed but she raised her hand to signal them to stand up. "Jungkook's wife is going to come here. Where's my older son?" She questioned.

"Here, sorry, I was practising archery." Jaehyun said and then looked at Jungkook. "Brother, how are—"

"Jaehyun, go with Jungkook. Take the guards with you and bring his wife here. We will give her a grand welcome." She said and his eyes widened. "Jungkook! Finally you got your girl? Wow! That means you'll come back to the kingdom and I don't have to do the responsibilities myself." He said and Jungkook chuckled.

"Did they not approve of your marriage? I'm pretty sure they'll accept you once you tell them about your real identity as the crowned Prince of Haesong. Didn't you tell them about your real identity?" King Jeon asked quietly and Jungkook turned back to him. "I didn't tell them about my real identity yet. And even if I say, King Taehyung proposed a marriage to them for Haeguk. He threatened them to get her married with him. I don't think so they'll accept our marriage ever so I had to do what I did." Jungkook explained, sighing and Queen Jeon walked up to her.

"You did well. You did what you thought was the best at the time. You married the love of your life. That must be enough." She said and the soldiers entered the hall. "The carriage and horses are ready."

"Go and bring her here. We will give her all the love and admiration in our kingdom." King Jeon announced and everyone cheered. Eunwoo nudged Jungkook who peeked at him questioningly. He signalled him through the eyes and he nodded.

"Father, I also ask you to permit Haeguk's loyal friend, Yeji, into the kingdom." He asked and King Jeon nodded immediately. "Now quickly go and bring them here. I cannot wait to meet my daughter-in-law. I need to get dressed right now!" He said, running out of the hall in glee.

Jungkook and the others smiled at him. "He is the kindest man ever." Queen Jeon admired her husband while commenting that. "He just knows how to act accordingly. He's kind to his people of his kingdom and family while cruel to his enemies. I love that about father." Jaehyun said and turned to JungKook.

"Let's go and bring your wife here."

----------------------------------

Meanwhile, Yeji was sitting beside the mattress on which Haeguk was sleeping and drawing random things on the ground of the cottage with a broken clay piece.