38: Self-Trap

Jungkook was standing in front of the same whiteboard with pictures of a small house, rings, a wedding altar, wedding dresses, kids' clothes, and everything a family would need in their life. But this time his eyes were fixed on the pictures of something else on the whiteboard. The pictures of a person.

A very familiar person.

The door of his bedroom opened, making a creaking sound. Jungkook's lips curved upwards as he knew who would be there. "Welcome," Jungkook said, his hands inside the pockets of his jeans as he slowly turned around to meet the fiery gaze of the person who entered his room.

The person looked at the whiteboard behind him and noticed his own pictures there. His eyes slowly rolled back to meet Jungkook's who smiled darkly and tilted his head, taking his lower lip between his teeth. "Lost King Kim Taehyung of Gyeongju." He said, releasing his lip from his teeth.

Taehyung clenched his jaws and walked inside the room slowly approaching him. "Who are you?" Taehyung asked and earned a dark chuckle from Jungkook. He laughed loudly, throwing his head back, his hands still inside his pocket. Taehyung just silently watched him but then his eyes moved to his pictures behind him.

His pictures had red crosses over them like he was the target.

"I asked something," Taehyung said and Jungkook stopped laughing. He tilted his head back to glare at Taehyung. "Who am I? Guess," he said and smirked again before turning back to the whiteboard.

He took one hand out of his pocket and pulled the picture of Taehyung, staring at it. "I had these weird dreams when I was 12. Right after meeting Haeguk. I was a warrior, I fought battles, and I loved Haeguk who was apparently my classmate, I married her too but I also saw a man." He said, taking his other hand out, revealing a lighter in it. He flicked it on and brought it close to the picture. 

"A man who wanted my wife." He mumbled and set the corner of the picture on fire. The picture of Taehyung started burning and Jungkook let the flaming picture fall from his hands as it turned to ash before touching the carpet.

"A man who kept an eye on us ever since we were kids," Jungkook said, keeping his hands back inside his pockets and looking up at Taehyung who was blankly looking at him. "These pictures that I have collected from our CCTV over the years. I was confused. I saw myself killing you in my dreams but I was confused. You never grew old." Jungkook said with amusement on his face.

"A friend approached me and he told me that you were a cursed man," Jungkook said. Taehyung squinted his eyes in confusion. "Jin. The Lord from Heaven. He told you." He mumbled and Jungkook quirked an eyebrow. "So Jin was from heaven? Why would he? I stopped believing in them," he said, walking past him and reaching for his drawer.

"The Priest?"

Taehyung asked, staring at Jungkook's back facing him who stood in front of the chest of drawers. Jungkook opened the drawer and shuffled through the items. "Don't worry. I didn't give Professor Hoseok a single clue that I know him from my past." He said with a slight chuckle. 

"Then who is your friend?"

"You don't need to know that," Jungkook said, shaking his head while Taehyung trailed his eyes to follow Jungkook's hand movement that kept a glass bottle of purple liquid on the top of the drawers. He squinted his eyes and sucked in a breath. "So why were you pretending to be unaware in front of Haeguk? Why did you send her with me?"

"I won't make the same mistake as last time, Taehyung," Jungkook said and Taehyung watched him turning to him with his hands in the pocket as he approached him. His eyes were dark, alerting Taehyung. He clenched his jaws as he noticed Jungkook's right hand shifting in his pocket.

He looked up into Jungkook's eyes as he stood right in front of him. None of them blinked and kept staring into each other's eyes intensely. "Tell me something, Taehyung. How long have you waited for Haeguk?"

"661 years."

"Why didn't you let her go? Why didn't you give up?"

"My heart is too stubborn to give up," Taehyung said and immediately blocked Jungkook's right hand which was holding a knife about to strike his chest, exactly at his heart. He looked down at the knife that was almost touching his chest. He looked back up to blankly stare at Jungkook who smirked. Taehyung frowned but gasped when a severe pain surged through his neck as Jungkook said,

"I won't get jailed for killing an unregistered and unidentified person, right, Taehyung?"

********************

This chapter might be confusing

This chapter might be confusing. But I want it to be that way. Neither Taehyung nor Jungkook is a villain. Both are anti-heroes who fight for their true love.

I made this story showing that if we look at a story through a villain's POV then we understand why they do what they do. I wanted to make sure that the readers get to see both the lead's minds and then it is completely up to them to choose their favorite.

But I have to stick to the plot and the title so I will write their destiny, just the way I have it all planned in my head.