Chapter 16

After months of planning today was finally the day. Everyone was surprised but happy for them, and then there were those that worried it was too soon... mainly Meredith's mother.

She had her doubts but, every time she looked into Derek's eyes, she knew that he was the one for her.

There she stood facing him in the middle of the Christ Church Cathedral in Hartford, Connecticut. The church Derek's family grew up in. Meredith never was a religious person but one look at it she knew that it was the perfect place to start their lives together.

She felt his hands holding tightly to hers standing there in his tux, looking down at her glowing in the candlelight wearing her beautiful while Vera Wang dress, her hair up in a lose twist with tiny tendrils softly grazing her neck and cheeks, she'd never looked so beautiful.

"I, Derek Michael Shepherd, take you, Meredith Elaine Grey, to be my friend, my lover, the mother of my children and my wife. I will be yours in times of plenty and in times of want, in times of sickness and in times of health, in times of joy and in times of sorrow, in times of failure and in times of triumph. I promise to cherish and respect you, to care and protect you, to comfort and encourage you, and stay with you, for all eternity."

He felt his heart flutter after the words that he meant with every cell in his body left his lips and he looked down at the woman he loved more than anyone in the world seeing the candlelight glisten the tears welling in her eyes, he reached up and with his thumb softly brushed them away. She sniffled as a soft smile spread across her lips...

"I, Meredith Elaine Grey, take you, Derek Michael Shepherd, to be my friend, my lover, the father of my children and my husband. I will be yours in times of plenty and in times of want, in times of sickness and in times of health, in times of joy and in times of sorrow, in times of failure and in times of triumph. I promise to cherish and respect you, to care and protect you, to comfort and encourage you, and stay with you, for all eternity."

The priest finished up the ceremony but neither of them heard much as their attention was completely focused and swept up in each other's eyes and beaming faces, knowing that nothing on this earth would ever be able to separate their love for each other.

Derek's hands cupped her tiny face as he leaned in and kissed her softly, lingering feeling the tingles spread all over their skin. He finally left her touch and looked into her eyes, smiling at his new wife...