Part 147

Maya POV

"Why've you got your stressed out, clipboard Bishop face on?" Andy asked, doing her usual thing and walking straight into my office.

She sat down and in the chair opposite my desk and rested her feet up.

"Hey you were never allowed your feet on my pillow so get them off my desk," I laughed, leaning forward and trying to push her boots down.

"Alright alright," she said defensively, placing them back on the floor.

"Seriously Bishop, what's up?" She asked.

"Winter's sick and been home alone while Mary takes all the kids to home group. Carina's gone over to check on her but I haven't heard anything yet," I sighed.

"And it's Elva's first day back at school after the holidays so I'm waiting for that phone call," I added, running my fingers through my hair.

"What phone call?" Andy asked.

"The one where she's either not stopped crying for Carina and I or she's gotten into a fight with that Lewis kid or she's tried to run away or...."

"Woahhh Maya stop," Andy said, cutting me off.

"She's been great in school for ages. Don't be worrying about Elva, she's doing good," she reasoned with me.

"And as for Winter, you just said Carina is heading over there. She'll look after her," Andy added.

"I know I know,"

"Then what is is?" She asked.

"I just, I just feel useless sat in this office," I admitted.

"You mean you just want to be in mommy mode?" She said knowingly.

"I'm always in mommy mode, that's my life now," I said firmly.

"I know that and it's amazing. Who would've ever thought it?" She winked.

"What I mean is, you JUST want to be in mommy mode, being Captain means something different now, it's not your priority," she shrugged.

"It's a huge priority," I snapped back.

"This job is everything I've ever worked for, you know that more than anyone," I added.

"Maya I'm not saying you're not taking it seriously. But you were gunning for captain when you didn't have two little girls who needed you," Andy explained.

"I have proven that I can do both," I said, feeling anger rise.

"But do you still want to do both?" Andy asked.

I sighed and rested my elbows on my desk, not wanting to fight with her.

I thought about her question and realised I didn't have an answer for her.

Saving me from the conversation, my phone buzzed.

It was Carina telling me that Winter had a high fever and wasn't doing great.

"I gotta call my wife," I said to Andy, already dialling.

"I'm here if and when you wanna carry on this conversation, Andy said genuinely. 

I nodded and she closed the door behind her.

"Ciao bellina," Carina's soft voice said through the phone.

"Hi my love, how is she?" I asked, wanting to get straight to the point.

"She's sleeping but her temperature hasn't gone down yet," she told me.