Part 62

Maya POV

I put Elva down on the gurney and watched in shock as Hughes and Herrera rushed around her assessing any injuries.

Trembling, Carina was being held upright by Miller, who had his arms protectively around her.

"She's not breathing right," I told them, moving to take hold of her hand.

They'd have to work around me. I wasn't moving.

"Elva breathe," I shouted.

"Breathe for mommy baby girl,"

"Okay push one of epi," Andy instructed Vic, after seeing no signs of improvement.

"Come on baby, fight for mommy,"

"She was trapped under the wardrobe," I informed them, watching Elva gasp for breath.

"Okay princesa, I'm just going to put this over your mouth to help you breath," Andy said calmly, holding the oxygen mask to her face.

Elva panicked instantly and attempted to push it away.

"Shhh bubba it will help. It will help you," I told her, holding the mask down.

"Deep breaths for mommy, big deep breaths Elvie," I said, somehow slowing my breathing down to model the pattern.

Her eyes were rapidly moving from left to right, inducing her panic further and preventing her from calming down.

"Look at me Elva. Look only at mommy," I whispered.

"Don't look anywhere else, focus only on me," I added.

Locking my eyes with her, I immediately sensed the fear she was suffering from, arguably worse than the pain she was in.

I suddenly remembered Marcus and looked around to find him. He was stood with Jack, who had him facing away from the scene unfolding outside the station ans shielding him from the wind.

"Is he okay?" I shouted back, looking over my shoulder.

"He's fine, he said he wasn't fully trapped. Only Elva," he informed me.

I was relieved he was alright and watched as the young boy signed something to his father figure.

"Her head," Jack bellowed over the noise.

"She hit her head," he shouted.

At that moment, Carina shook off all her fear for our girl and snapped into action. Breaking from Millers hold, she was by Elva's side in a second.

"Okay we need to move her, she's stable enough. Someone get on the phone to Grey Sloan. Tell them I want Amelia Shepard and Meredith Grey waiting for when we arrive," she said forcefully, letting everyone know to follow her orders.

"Elva you keep breathing for us, show mama how strong you are," she said softly to our girl as they began to move her into the aid car.

"M-ma," she tried to get out.

"Shhh don't speak bambina, just breathe," Carina said, jumping in the back.

"Herrera, you covered here?" I asked, about to close the door of the aid car.

"We've got you here Bishop, keep us updated. She's our mija too," she said nodding.

I felt a lump rise in my throat and forced it back down, turning to sit on the bench beside Carina.
Carina was vividly monitoring her vitals, not looking away for a second.

"Warren did we reach Grey Sloan?" I shouted through to the front.

"I did one better. I rang Miranda. They're waiting," he informed me, hitting the sirens on and putting his foot down.