Part 57

Maya POV

"Can I come to the station with you mommy?" Elva asked that morning.

"No bubba, school first," I told her for the fifth time.

"But you said it's the visit day," she pouted.

"It is, you're class are coming after lunch," I told her.

"So why can't I come now?" She asked, holding onto my leg.

I crouched down in front of her outside the school gates.

"Sweetie you've still got your morning lessons. It won't be long until lunchtime," I assured her.

"Can I stay after?" She asked.

"I would've thought so bubba. Unless mommy gets called out, then you'll have to go back to school with the others and Jennie will take you to the hospital," I explained to her.

"I hope there's no calls. I don't like the alarm," she said, frowning and folding her arms.

"Come here you moody monkey," I laughed, standing up and lifting her into the air.

"Mommy put me down," she giggled.

"That's the smile I like to see," I said, lowering her to my hip.

"Now give mommy a kiss," I said.

She kissed my cheek and I placed her back down on the floor.

"I'll see you later Elvie," I called as she ran to join Molly.

She turned and gave me a little wave before they walked into school.

"Morning 19," I said, joining everyone in the beanery.

"Morning Captain," Montgomery greeted, handing me a coffee.

"Alright we've got Elva's class visit this afternoon.  Obviously if a big incident gets called in then that comes first and I've explained this to Miss Thomas. Herrera, Gibson you're in charge of giving them a tour around the station before Hughes, Montgomery and I give a talk and answer questions. Miller, Warren, Sullivan you'll handle any minor calls that come in first. You're off the hook when it comes to the kids," I explained to everyone.

"Captain have I ever told you I loved you?" Miller asked.

"No but you can owe me one," I winked.

AID CAR 19

AID CAR 19

AID CAR 19

"Hughes and Montgomery this ones yours whilst it's still early," I instructed.

"Yes Captain," Hughes nodded, jumping up from her seat around the table.

Luckily, the morning was relatively quiet, giving people the chance to make the station look presentable and I could get on top of paperwork.