Part 40

Carina POV

I slept in Elva's room with her last night, giving Maya chance to get a good nights sleep as she was in work the following day.

I would also be able to keep my eye on Elva too.

I made sure I woke myself up every few hours to check her temperature.

It was slowly coming back down. I was glad as I was so close to taking her into the hospital earlier when it spiked.

She had gotten some sleep, although she'd been very restless. It was 6:30 am when Maya popped her head round the door.

"Good morning," she whispered.

She was already dressed and ready for work.

"How is she?" Maya asked.

I looked at Elva who was curled up asleep next to me and holding onto Bobby.

"Her temperature is just a tad over where we want it to be but it's finally dropping," I told her.

"Did she sleep?" She asked.

"Si but she was very restless, lots of naps today I think to keep fighting off whatever bug she's got," I explained.

"Make sure you try to nap too, you've been up all night with her," she said with concern in her voice.

I smiled and nodded.

"I made you some coffee but just try to get another could of hours sleep babe, I'm off to work now," she told me.

She crept over to me and kissed me before gently stroking Elva's hair out of her face.

"See you later," she whispered, blowing me a kiss on her way out.

"Ciao Bellina," I replied.

When I heard to door of the apartment open and close again, I pulled the covers back up and rested my head back on the pillow. It was still early, I closed my eyes and tried to get another few hours sleep.

I was woken a while later when I heard my phone ringing.

I grabbed it from the side and carefully climbed out of Elva's bed without waking her.

"Hello, Carina DeLuca speaking," I answered.

"Hi this is Jane from social services,"

My heart sank with and I instantly felt my palms go sweaty.

"I'm just calling to confirm our appointment time for tomorrow," she said.

Damn it! Was that tomorrow? The week had gone by so quick.

"Oh y-yes," I finally stuttered out.

"Is 5:30pm alright? I know yourself and Miss Bishop have a strict work schedule," she asked.

"That should work fine," I told her. I didn't want her to know Elva was sick and would still be off school with me at home.

"I'll see you tomorrow then goodbye," she said before hanging up the phone without giving me the chance to say anything else.

I had to get Elva feeling better now.

"Mama," I heard from behind me.

I turned around and saw Elva entering the kitchen with crazy messy bed hair and sleepy eyes but she looked so adorable.

"Good morning bella," I smiled warmly.

She silently walked over and wrapped her arms around my legs.