Part 95

Maya POV

"Maya everything looks good, all tests came back clear," Doctor Pierce told me.

"Thank you," I said, unable to conceal my smile.

I instantly felt a lot more relieved and held Elva that little bit tighter to me.

"See Elvie, mommy's okay," I whispered, feeling her grip onto me.

"Go home mommy?" She asked, lifting her head up off my chest.

"I'm afraid your mommy needs to sleep here tonight. She can go home tomorrow," Doctor Pierce said gently.

Elva's bottom lip stuck out as she nodded her understanding.

"You get to stay with Tiá Andy though princessa," Andy said, reaching over and resting her hand on Elva's shoulder.

She nodded again, I could tell she was trying to stop herself from crying.

"You're my brave girl Elvie, you'll be okay," I assured her, kissing her head and laying her back down on me.

"Elva be brave," she said quietly.

"You are the bravest little girl I know," I said lovingly.

"Like you mommy," she said, nuzzling her cheek against my skin.

"Mommy's girl," I smiled, kissing her head again and breathing her in.

"I'll come check on you later," Doctor Pierce nodded, leaving the three of us alone.

"What do you want for dinner Elva, Andy will make you whatever you want?" Herrera asked, moving closer to the bed.

She rolled over to face Andy, I moved onto my side as well and lay my arm over her, pulling her back into my body while I propped myself up on my elbow.

"Mac and cheese?" Elva asked sweetly.

"My favourite, it's a deal," Andy smiled.

"Shall we leave your mommy to get some sleep hermosa?" Andy suggested.

I felt her tiny little body tense but she agreed without a fight.

"Come here baby, give me one last snuggle," I said, holding her tightly.

"Keep me updated Maya, let me know when to bring her home," Andy said as she stood up.

"I will, thank you for everything," I smiled gratefully.

"Come here mini Maya," she said, reaching down to lift Elva off of the hospital bed and down onto the floor.

"Be good Elvie," I warned playfully.

"I will mommy. Don't forget to eat your cookies," she said seriously, pointing at the box Andy had left.

"I won't baby," I laughed, blowing her a kiss which she pretended to jump and catch in her little hand.

They left and the room fell silent, I lay back and stared at the ceiling. This was not how today was meant to turn out.

It took a while but eventually managed to drift off to sleep.

It was a disturbed sleep, filled with images of the recent fire. Only in this version, Elva was the one trapped who I had to save.

Her terrified screams haunted my sleep, leaving me to toss and turn all night.

I woke and was incredibly restless, ready for Doctor Pierce to come and discharge me.
She soon came and checked everything was alright before allowing me to leave.