64

"Mama!"

Callie opened her eyes and looked around the hospital room. She saw her daughter cuddled against her, Jada in a chair by the foot of the bed. And the lights-they were very bright.

Great, Callie thought to herself. I'm in the hospital in my own hospital.

"Mama!" Sofia exclaimed again

"Hey Sofster," Callie replied softly as she gently put her arm around her daughter.

"You okay mama?" the little girl asked.

Callie nodded. By shaking her head just a little bit, she realized that she did have a blazing headache, and her head was pounding so hard. She would be fine though.

"I'm okay Sofia," Callie answered as confidently as she could.

Jada pushed her chair over to Callie's side. "Hi baby."

"Hi," Callie answered with a smile before adjusting her arm around Sofia. "Come on Sof, are you ready to go home?"

"Yeah mama!"

She was thankful Jada reached out and caught her, or she would've been on the floor again. Callie was okay when sitting up and sitting still, but that was about it.

"You are not going anywhere anytime soon Calliope."

Callie groaned and settled herself back against the pillow. "My head fucking hurts," she stated.

"Mama! You said bad word!"

She chuckled softly. "Not right now Sof," Jada stepped in. "Momma's hurt right now."

"Mama hurt?" the little girl asked.

"Yeah," Jada answered softly. "Momma hit her head really hard."

"Mama s'kay," she said, looking up at Callie.

"You are right, she could be hurt a lot worse," Jada explained to her daughter. "But momma has a head injury. And head injuries are very important."

"Mama gonna be okay?"

"I'm gonna be okay sweetheart," Callie answered. "I'm just going to have a bad headache for a few days."

Sofia leaned over and hugged her mothers side. "Love you mama."

"I love you too, Sofia."

While the little girl snuggled herself in Callie's side, Callie looked over at Jada. "Is everyone okay?" she wondered.

"Everyone is okay," Jada answered and Callie felt herself release a loud sigh of relief. "Except you."

Callie smiled to reassure her. "I'll be fine."

"You have a pretty bad concussion Calliope."

"I've had concussions before," she tried to shrug off. "I'll be okay."

"Remember what you were telling me after my accident when I had a concussion?"