49

Today had been fun.

An emotionally exhausted Jada watched Callie chop more firewood through the window for their last day of vacation. The couple had taken Sofia to the local playground and the little girl had a blast making some new friends. That was until one of the kids started talking about their father. And a confused Sofia came up to her mothers and asked about her dad.

"Mama? Mommy?" Sofia asked as she approached her parents off to the side of the playground.

"Yeah sweetie?"

"Who my daddy?" Sofia had asked.

Callie and Jada nervously glanced at each other. This wasn't a conversation they planned on having yet. Jada picked Sofia up and scooped her into her lap.

"Why do you ask that Sofster?"

"Mama and mommy. No daddy." Sofia pointed over to the kids she had been playing with. "They daddy."

Jada scooted closer to her wife and silently asked who was going to lead this conversation. Because they didn't want to make Sofia wait while they figured out what to say. It was something that was going to happen at some point.

Callie gave Jada an apologetic smile and Jada knew she was the one who was going to be explaining it to their daughter.

"Okay Sof, you know how momma and I read you a book before you go to bed right?"

"Yes."

"What do we read?"

"Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White."

"That's right." Jada took a deep breath. "Snow White has Prince Charming, Cinderella has her prince, and Bell has the Beast. And the princes are all boys."

Another deep breath. "Your momma is my prince but she's not a boy. Some kids have two mommies or two daddies or a mommy and a daddy."

"You have your momma and I," Jada continued. "There doesn't always have to be a prince and a princess. There can be two princess's or two princes. Your momma is my princess and I'm hers."

She was really starting to struggle with explaining this in a way Sofia could understand. Jada was so thankful when Callie stepped in.

"Sof, your mommy and I are going to be together forever. And we're two girls in love. And that's perfectly okay. I-"

"I like that," Sofia said with a smile. "I have two mommies. My mommies."

But the sudden stress of explaining that situation to Sofia quickly faded. The little girl loved roasting her s'mores at night and she was sleeping early after all the running around at the park.

And for Callie and Jada, that meant lots of alone time. They had cuddled by the fire, drank some wine, and had lots and lots of sex.

Their alone time was not spent on the topic of what happened a few days ago. Even though Jada thought it would be a good idea to sit down with her wife and talk it over again. It didn't happen.