chapter 20

Derek's pov:
I'm sat in bed. A few tears run down my face as I watch old videos of me and meredith.

I put the letters on the bed Infront of me and grab some painkillers I stole from the medicine cabinet.

I put a bunch in my hand and grab a bottle of water. I put my phone aside.

I close my eyes, taking a deep breath. I move my hand to my mouth slowly.

"Baby! You awake?" Meredith knocks on the door. I grab everything quickly and shove it in my drawer. I climb under the covers, wiping my tears so I can pretend to be asleep.

She walks in. "Babe?" She says. I sit up slowly. "Hi beautiful" I put on a smile. She giggles, jumping onto the bed next to me. "Hi handsome" she kisses me. I pretend to stretch.

"Did you sleep good last night without me?" She hugs me. "Not really.. I missed you" I say. I really really did. "I missed you too" she says.

I hug her tight. I snuggle my face into her shoulder, breathing her in. She tries to pull away but I squeeze her tighter. "You okay?" She hugs me back. "Mhm" I nod.

"Derek" she says, pulling away slowly. "Oh baby, what's wrong?" She frowns, wiping my cheeks as she sees my tears. I'll miss you so much...

"I love you so much" I say. "I love you too" she says. "Yeah? How much?" I smile, pulling her onto my lap. "more than words can describe" she says.

"I'd never be able to live without you" I say. Or with you. "Me either" she says. "Yes you would" I say. "No I wouldn't.. what would I do without you?" She says. I look into her eyes. I'm so sorry.

"Anyway, we'd never have to live apart.. would we?" She giggles. "No, never" I whisper.

Flashforward:

"Good morning honey" Carolyn sits next to me on the couch as I sit, watching old videos of me and derek. "Is it?" I sigh. She strokes my hair back gently. I smile small. "Another day without derek" I say.

"You want anything to eat?" She asks. "No thanks" I say. "When was the last time you did eat?" He asks. "Two days ago" I say. "I'm getting you something to eat" she gets up.

I call Derek's number. It rings for a while until it goes to voicemail. I close my eyes, listening.

"Hey its derek. I'm probably either playing football or cuddling with my girlfriend.. but if I'm not and this is my girlfriend then leave me a message.. if you are not meredith then text me or something" it says before the bleep goes off.

I sob quietly. "Derek" I stand up, walking upstairs. I go into his room and close the door so nobody can hear me, leaning against it.

"Baby, I miss you so much.. I really hope that you're listening to this because you woke up.. and if you are then.. use this as your reminder to not do that again.. because I don't think I can do this for much longer without you.. and I know you'd never want to hurt me.. I know you wouldn't" I cry.

I take a deep breath. "Thats all I wanted to say.. bye" I hang up. I throw my phone onto the bed and climb under the covers, hugging his pillow.

Flashforward over:

I'm laid in his bed under the covers, hugging his pillow. He walks in. "Oh my god, hello my gorgeous" he walks over. I giggle as he kisses my cheek.

"This is a nice suprise" he says. "I wanted to see you" I sit up. "God you're hot" I breathe, scanning his body. He's only just got back from football practice. He chuckles.

"I'm so glad you're here" he pulls me up. I kneel on the bed infront of him as he hugs me. I smile brightly.

I pull away slowly. He puts his hands on my waist. "I could squeeze you, you're so cute" he says. I giggle. "I'm not cute" I say. "Yes you are" he tickles me. I giggle hysterically, trying to pull his hands away.

He pulls away. "I'm gonna shower.. you can join if you want" he smirks. "I'm on my period" I sigh, running my hands down his chest. He sighs. "I don't mind.. let's go" he grabs me, picking me up. I laugh. "Derek!" I yell. He grins.

"Put me down" I say. He groans, putting me down. I giggle. "Go and shower.. I'll be waiting right here for you" I say. "But-" he whines. "Go" I say. He walks into the bathroom.

He comes back out a little bit later. I'm already nearly asleep under the covers. He climbs in behind me. I turn around to face him. "I love you" I mumble, cuddling into him.

He spoons me as I turn back around, my body still pressed against his from behind. I close my eyes, falling asleep.

Read my new story please. Its a Christmas one (one-shot)