chapter 29

He rolls off of me. We stare at the ceiling. He entwines our fingers. I look at him.

"Are you okay?" He asks. "I'm great" I smile. A genuine smile, which I haven't been able to do in ages. He smiles wider.

"You know what?" He lays his arm behind my pillow. I rest my head on it, putting my hand on his chest to feel his heartbeat. "What?" I ask.

"I feel more like myself again after that" he says. I grin. "That's good" I say. "I missed you" he says. "I missed you too" I say.

"I haven't shaved in ages.. was that not gross?" I giggle, feeling embarrassed that he was just down there. "I don't care" he chuckles.

"You think I think you're gonna shave everyday when we're married?" He says. "Yes!" I say. He laughs. "Baby I don't care.. I promise" he chuckles.

"If it makes you feel better then go ahead and shave but I like you hairy" he grins, running his hand up my leg. 'Derek!" I laugh, hitting him. He laughs.

I look at him. I roll ontop of him. "Wanna go again?" He smirks. He entwines our fingers. I kiss him softly. I giggle.

My smile fades as I hold his hands above his head and see the scars on his arms. I pull my hands away. He hides his arms under the covers. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-" I say. "Its okay" he says.

"I'm sorry" I lean down and kiss him. "Its okay" he puts his hands on my waist. I climb off of him.

"I love you" I stroke his cheek with my thumb. "I love you too" he says. I'm saying that a lot lately. I know I am but he needs to know it.

"You ready to go to sleep?" He asks. I nod. "You okay?" I ask. He nods. He pulls me close. We wrap our arms around eachother. We soon fall asleep.

--------

We walk into school hand in hand. Everyone in the hallway stops and looks at us. We go straight to the break room. We both smile at our friends.

"Derek!" They all run over and hug him. I let go of his hand so he can hug them back.

They all sit down. I stand, looking at him smiling as he talks to everyone. "Babe? Come here" he looks at me. I smile, sitting next to him. I wrap my arms around his waist.

"You okay?" He whispers. "Yeah" I nod. He kisses my head. I pull away slowly.

"You sure?" He looks into my eyes. "I'm sure" I smile. He kisses me. "What was It like? Being in a coma?" Cristina asks. "Cris" I say. She shrugs.

"Um.. I dont really remember it.. the last thing I remember was doing it, then I remember waking up.. that's it" he says. "Boring" Cristina says. "Cristina!" I warn.

"Baby, it's okay" he whispers. I entwine our fingers, cuddling back into him.

"Did you hear people talking to you?" Izzie asks. "Sometimes.. but I cant remember what people said now.. but I know that I did at the time.. you know?" He says. She nods.

"Why did you even do it?" Mark asks. "I-I had stuff going on for ages before.. it just got too much" he says. I hide my face in his chest as I tear up.

"I'm trying to deal with it now though.. I'm so lucky that I got a second chance to" he says. "I'm going to the bathroom" I get up and leave the room quickly.

Derek's pov:
I sigh as she leaves the room. "Are you two okay?" Mark asks. "Yeah, she's just still trying to process everything I think" I say.

"She blames herself, derek.. she was a mess when you were gone" Mark says. "I don't know what to do" I say. "Just be there for her" izzie shrugs.

I get up and follow her. I just walk into the girls toilets, not really caring. "Babe?" I say. She walks out of a stall.

She hugs me, pushing her face into my chest. "I'm sorry for upsetting you" I say. "I'm not upset" she sobs quietly into my chest. "Mer" I sigh, squeezing her gently.

"Do you wanna just go home? I can take you" I ask. She shakes her head. "I'm fine" she wipes her tears. "You wanna go and watch the football game with me?" I ask. "Okay" she says. I smile. She smiles too.

We go outside and sit on the bleachers. "I'm not used to just sitting on the sidelines watching" I say. "I know" she says.

"I hope they did good without me still" I say. "Not as good as they would've done with you" she says. I smile. "I think you're biased" I grin. "You know what? I think I am too" she giggles. I chuckle. We kiss softly.

"You want my jacket?" I ask as I see her shivering. "That's okay" she shakes her head. I take it off and wrap it around her shoulders.

She looks at the scars on my arms. "Der, people are gonna see" she whispers. "I care much more about you being comfortable" I rub her arms to warm her up. I kiss her softly. She hugs me. We watch the game.