26. Auston

After I get off the plane in Phoenix, Mom and my sister Alex is waiting at the bottom of the escalator.

"Look at you!" My mom says. I gave her a tight hug also as Alex.

"I miss you too mom!" I said.

She gives me a sappy mom smile before wrapping one thin arm around my waist and squeezing.

"You look awesome. Been looking really wonderful."

I shrug as we begin to make our way to the exit. "I feel pretty good."

"Mom thinks you’re depressed over how your season was going." My sister inserted.

"You did not check any bag?" She asks as we pass the baggage carousels.

"No I didn't." I replied, I did notice the look of disappointment on my mom's face. "You know I’ve got to get back for some urgent meetings. Even if the season for Maple Leafs is already over, plus being a free agent kind of keeping me busy these days." I lied.

My mom and I have been inseparable ever since I started my hockey career, she sacrificed a lot working for me to give hockey lessons and more than that. Plus she sacrificed coming along with me every time I travel to go play hockey, especially when I moved to Switzerland right before the NHL draft to play for the pros.

She's my everything too! Without her and my Dad's support I wouldn't be here playing at the largest hockey arenas and being one of the award winning top hockey players in the world. I owe everything to her and that is why I feel so guilty not lying and not saying anything about what's going on with my life right now!

I may have made a lot of mess when I was younger, involved myself on some stunts that are actually not good for my rep. She hated it! And right now, if she'll know about me being accidentally married she'll totally feel disappointed. I don't know!

"I thought maybe because you guys weren’t doing so well this season, you’d be allowed to spend the entire break with us and go for our usual vacation? Your grandparents in Hermosillo wants us to come visit!"

"I'd really love too mom. But y'all can just go for a vacation without me. Besides, soon I’ll be underfoot all the time and you’ll be begging me to leave." I jokingly warn her.

But even as I say it, my mind zips back to Georgina.

I fight the urge to climb back on the plane and return to Toronto. But I’ll have to settle for texting, phone calls, and maybe if I’m lucky, a little video chatting.

Our day back at the park was the nicest things we've ever done together. She let me be as close to her that day, I felt her calmness around me that day and so was I. We've been texting more since then and earlier right before I board for my flight she texted me wishing me for a safe flight and demands me to update every now and then. Now I'm really down on taking the risk for her! Very much so.

I nearly run into my sister's Land Rover, lost in my thoughts about Georgina.

"Mind if I drive?" I said clearing my throat.

Alex tosses me the keys.

"I never complain about you being around too much Auston, besides you live in your own house. But even so, you know I’d love it if you live back to our house for the mean time."

During the ride home from, my mom and Alex catches me up on the local gossip of Scottsdale.

I nod absently, wondering if I had invited Georgina to come home with me, but I figured the invitation would be unwelcome, not just because we're not a thing in the first place but because of the fact that she is already engaged to another guy.