| 57 |

| Luca |

"Penny for your thoughts?" I looked down at Raven as we laid down later in the evening. I was snuggled in between Shaun and Raven.

My mom has a man in her life. After...basically never. After my father, there's someone else. I don't know how to feel about that.

"Baby?" Shaun raised his head to look at me.

"I don't know how I feel about this...Philip guy," I said honestly, sighing. I traced random patterns on Shaun's arm, the same way Raven was doing to the side of my face.

"You don't...want her to be with him?" Shaun asked.

"That's the thing, I don't know," I said. "I mean, the guy sounds genuine and all, but I...I just-"

"You're worried about your mom. It's normal baby. She's been through a lot and of course you'd want to look out for her," Raven said softly.

"I can look into this guy, if you want to be sure. Just say the word," Shaun said.

"I'll keep an eye on him tomorrow," I said. "Still have to be cautious," I can't let my guard, alas my mother gets hurt again. My father hasn't exactly been treating her right. A part of me is glad that she divorced him.

"Well, I for one, am happy for Katherine," Raven said with a smile. "She's glowing. She looks a whole lot better than before and I...I don't know," she shrugged. "It might be this guy. Nonetheless, I'm happy for her,"

"She looks...happy," Shaun said quietly, deep in thoughts. "Radiant,"

"You think so?" I murmured softly. I mean, it's evident enough that my mother's finally her eating disorder. I haven't been noticing any changes in the last few months. Heck, even a year. She's always been hiding behind the scrubs and the baggy clothes. So I never noticed. But her face is filling up. Heck, she started wearing her hair longer. She always cut it shorter.

I truly am happy for my mom. It's what I've always wanted for her. To finally have a break through. Most of us had thought that it'd happen once she divorced my father, but it didn't change. If this man is the reason behind this, then...I have him to be thankful for. Whether his intentions are good or not, my mom's getting better. It's a big change and it needs to be acknowledged.

I need to know more about this man. I'm conflicted about him. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt; at the same time my overprotective instincts are kicking in and I can't stop them.

"If I may ask," Raven spoke up after a while. "I don't think I know what happened to Katherine. I mean, whatever they were talking about during dinner, it sounded intense,"

"It's..." I swallowed hard. "It was a long time ago. Long before I was even born. Mom doesn't talk about it much. It's not exactly something she's proud of,"

"You don't have to tell me. I was just...wondering," Raven said quickly. I hummed, facing the ceiling.

Letting out a heavy breath, I sat up and shuffle to the edge of the bed. Turning back to the two confused faces, I held my hand for Raven to take. "Where are we going?"

"Well, it's quite clear that I won't be sleeping any time soon, and I need more answers. So come on," I said pulling her up and handing her the silk gown to cover her bare chest. "Let's go see mom," I turned to Shaun.

"Don't you think she'll be sleeping by now?" Shaun eyed the time, getting up.

The three of us walked over to mom's room. I could hear her laughing quietly from behind the door. Raven cooed quietly, making me roll my eyes as I knocked softly.