Episode 32: Falling Out, Falling In

Warning: I wrote this with the characters being a bit more tipsy than usual.

The evening is going uneventfully so far, perhaps no one is willing to incur another argument, wanting a chilled night after everything that's happened. Daphs, third glass of wine in hand, is on the beanbags with Hope and Lottie, facing away from the garden, when Lottie suddenly stops talking, her eyes going wide.

"Daphs, Kitty's on her way over," she says, looking both shocked and exhilarated.

Hope slowly turns her head to look, as does Daphs, and sure enough, Kitty is on her way over in a short red dress that paired with her blonde hair makes her look like the mean girl in a teen tv show.

"Hope, Lottie, I couldn't speak with Daphs alone, could I?" She asks.

Hope looks at Daphs, her glass covering her mouth and her eyes wide. Daphs says nothing and stares back, a look of furious incredulity simmering under the surface.

"Sure," Lottie says, grinning. "Good luck." She pulls Hope up and drags her away. Before Hope goes, though, she gives Daphs a squeeze to her shoulder. Kitty plops herself down in Hope's beanbag, the one closer to Daphs. Daphs starts out by taking a long sip.

"So, first off," she says, a small sigh escaping her mouth, "I want to apologise to you."

Daphs eyes go wide. "Go for it, babe," she says, trying to only look partly arsey.

"I shouldn't have said what I said, but I did it from a place of good intentions," Kitty says, putting her hand on her heart. "Just so you know, I never did anything in the end. I did as Lucas said and let things play out on their own, and I know it looks sus because you and Bobby are now over, and I'm with him and you're with Lucas, but honestly, that had nothing to do with Lucas or me.

"I'm not saying this next part to be a cow or anything, but from what I saw, from my point of view, Bobby wasn't happy. He was trying so hard and all you were doing was making him miserable. No one deserves that, don't you agree? I didn't just want you to be over because I like him, but because I can't bear to watch another person suffering, Daphs. You two weren't healthy. Now, I'm not blaming that all on you or trying to make out that you're a toxic person or whatnot, but it is what it is, and I'm sorry that we couldn't get off on the right foot. You have to admit now though, that things have worked out for the best. You and Lucas look made for each other. He's so into you, it's mad."

Daphs takes in every word with a pinch of salt. She does not believe Kitty is sincere one ounce.

"I think it's fair to say, Kitty, that you and I are not going to be friends," Daphs says. "I don't care for how you act; I don't like the insinuations in everything you say; I think you're snide and you're devious, and actually, yeah, I think you are a cow. There is nothing I have to say to you from here on out, okay? As far as I'm concerned, it's done. Over." Daphs snidely adds, "Thanks ever so much for that 'apology', it has been 'noted'..." she mimics writing out the last word, already pushing herself up before she's done.

Daphs grabs her cup and walks off as casually as she can.

Most everyone has piled into the kitchen, a perfect view of the beanbags. Daphs grins sardonically when she catches them watching and heads up. Noah steps forwards to give her a hand up the steps in her heels. The chat in the kitchen is low, tense, like there hasn't been much conversation before Daphs arrives.

"What's happening, guys?" Daphs asks, hardly able to stop herself from laughing.

"Not much..." Gary says, grinning broadly back at her in anticipation, "What's up with you?"