Episode 93: Spaghetti-Woes

Daphs still has to speak to Bobby, but after everything she doesn't feel like she can just walk right up to him. She's feeling guilty over her reaction, for snapping at him and making him feel bad about it when he already does. But then he hadn't dealt with it in the best way. But she also feels like she's taking it overboard. But she has the right to be – but overboard – but also – but yeah – uh-huh, but when you think about it – but like also –

She needs to stop overthinking it.

At the end of the day, she wants to be with Bobby. So, she needs to act like it.

The pantry has not one single can of spaghetti hoops. Nothing. Na-da.

Though, Daphs can do something else for him, Daphs now has preparing his fave meal, the one that cheers him up when he's sad, stuck in her head. She needs to do it to get it out of her system.

But there are no spaghetti hoops.

"What you looking for, Daphy-Doo?" Rahim asks as he jogs into the kitchen. He's towelling himself down at the same time, having just been for a work-out. One glance at the gym and Daphs sees Bobby there with Gary while Mickey and Lucas are off to the side, neither Bobby nor Lucas turned to one another.

"I'm looking for spaghetti hoops," she says, sighing in defeat.

"Ah, no, you're not into them, too, are you?" Rahim says, his face creasing in distaste. "Here I thought you were a woman of taste with your salmon and scrambled egg, and Lucas said that your favourite is Eggs Florentine. So you. I'm disappointed about the hoops, Daphs."

Lucas had mentioned Daphs favourite eggs while everyone was cooking them up this morning? Had it been in front of Bobby? Had it been after Bobby made them the dippy eggs? The same dippy eggs that Daphs refused to eat and then she later found in the bin?

"No, no, I can't stand stuff like that," Daphs says. "I feel bad though, I think I might have overreacted to the whole Kitty thing –"

Rahim's face pulls like he can't decide if he agrees or disagrees.

"And I want things to work out for Bobby and me, so I thought to make up for being grumpy this morning, instead of only apologising, I could make him his favourite meal, too," she finishes.

Rahim's face is evident in his delight. He beams at her, "That's properly cute, Daphs. It's something Bobby would really appreciate, too."

"Yeah, my only issue is ..." she laments, holding both hands up to the pantry like she's presenting it as the grand prize in a competition, "no spaghetti hoops. How do I make spaghetti hoops on toast without half the bulk of the meal?"

"Oh, erm, oh, hmm ..." Rahim rattles off, making a different expression of puzzlement with each word of stalling. "Anything you could substitute? Though, I don't know how you would do that?"

An idea pops into Daphs head. "Is baked bean juice just the same as the spaghetti hoop sauce?"

"Pfft, you're asking the wrong guy here, Daphs."

"It can't be too dissimilar?"

"Nah, surely not?"

Daphs and Rahim collect the several cans of beans left over from this morning. Together, like they're performing a serious operation and not opening a can of beans, they open a can of beans.

"Ugh, I hate that smell," Daphs flinches away.

Rahim scrunches up his nose. "Me, too. Don't know how anyone can eat this stuff."

"Looks about right, though, doesn't it?"

Rahim nods. "Think it should be close enough. So, what's the plan? Just pour the bean juice on some toast and leave it like that? No offence, but I think even Bobby would draw the line at soggy toast."