Chapter 38 - Smoke & Mirrors

You would think that after two car accidents, even if i don't remember either one of them, i would be a little more skeptical or conscious about getting into another car, but i'm not, not the slightest bit....perhaps it's because I can't remember what happened.

But as we drive to the Ranch from the airport, the feel of the car tires on the tared road surface, the motion of the car ride, and scenery as the car moves past every area, gives me a sense of tranquility and serenity, helping me clear my hard and finally feel relaxed.

As we move further away from all the tall buildings and busy town to the quiet country side, it reminds me why we all love this place.

Why we love coming here as a family, it's so calming and relaxing, makes you forget all the rush, demands and madness of the city life, and right now, with everything going on with me, this is exactly what i needed.

"Oh, by the way...here you are." Aaron who is sitting besides me says, as he hands me something.

I open my palm, and he places a gold chain with four little hearts in the middle.

"You paid alot for that.. .There was only three of these ever made, and this was the last one left, but someone else bought it before you could, so you paid them twice the amount for it.... you had it on you when we had the accident, i got it at the hospital and kept it for safe keeping..." He says.

I look at the necklace and try to remember the events he just described, but just like everything else i have heard, and tried to remember since the accident, i nothing comes to mind.

Trying to remember anything is frustrating... it's like having an itch, and not knowing where exactly to scratch......so you end up scratching everywhere, but the feeling doesn't go away.

Not wanting to dwell on that, i put the chain in my pocket and look at the window.

As we approach the gate of the Ranch, i don't know what to feel, my tranquility slowly disappearing, and being replaced by anxiety.

"Listen, i think, we should talk to Ella first before you meet her, so we can let her know what. happened before you two meet and all" Dad says, and i nod, not really caring either way.

The rest of the family must out on the grounds, probably having fun somewhere, because it's quiet around us, and so i take advantage of their absence to go upstairs for a bit, before seeing everyone else again.

Aaron decides he wants to rest too, since he has a headache too, before he joins the rest of the family.

So the two of us, head up stairs.

We meet some of the house workers on our way, and one of them shows us where we shall be sleeping.

"This is your room Mr. Marco, Mrs. Bishop told me that you will be sharing a room with Ms. Ella" she says, before walking away to show Aaron where he will be sleeping.

This is not the Room i normally use when we come here, but with more people joining us this year, i suppose there has been some changes made to our sleeping arrangements.

I open the door and look around. Everything looks neat and tidy. There is a laptop on the bed and some black winter boots in the corner of the room, which i can only assume belongs to her.

I want to lie down for abit, but i also want to meet her first.

I have this inkling, that i will remember her as soon as i see her....but since Dad said he will send her here after talking to her, i will wait for her here.

Despite the cold and snow outside, the temperature inside the house is warm, and each room's temperature can be adjusted individually, so i turn up the temperature and take my coat off, as well as my shoes, then i walk to the window.