Chapter 29 - Ignorance Is Bliss

They say ignorance is bliss, and well, it's true, i was happy existing in my own little bubble this morning, until i had to leave for work and this disaster that occurred yesterday continues to stretch on, except today, it looks like the situation will take an even ugly turn since we now have to bring this to the general public and start dealing with the media.

Which is also why Nick is here and a few other people from the office, and since it is also a legal issue, Angelo is here too.

Having done most of the physical inspections and reports yesterday, i take a background role today and watch things unfold.

Isolating ourselves with Chase, we take refuse on the concrete pavement somewhere and watch Nick and Angelo approach me us.

"Well?" Chase asks and Nick frowns. His expression alone lets me know things are bad.

We continue to engage in light conversion outside of work, watching people come and go, while i turn Ella's phone around in my hand.

She forgot it at the apartment, along with the book she was reading last night.

I intend to take it to her at the office later when we leave this place.

Her phone has a picture of her saved as the screen server and i keep looking at it from time to time.

Then there is the fact that she keeps receiving calls and messages, mostly from Carmen.

What do these women talk about so early in the morning?

The phone flashes as it rings again, and Chase, who is sitting close to me notices.

"Aren't you going to get that?" He asks, mostly out of irritation because it rang alot before i put it on silent.

"It's not my phone, it's Ella's, she forgot it this morning" i say.

"Oh, how is that going by the way?" Angelo asks, and i clench my jaw to keep from smiling at just how fucking great it's going.

I shrug.

"We're ok" i say instead.

"I think we just have lost another brother to the other gender. He is so whipped....she has him wrapped around her little finger" Chase utters, and I can't help but laugh with the guys.

No lie there.

"I think i see why you moved in with Mary so fast....i hate having to drop her off at home" i confess.

"Ohh, that serious?" Nick hisses.

"Well that become serious fast" Chase sighs.

"Hey, when you know, you know, right." Angelo utters and winks.

"You are only saying that because you and Mary moved too fast so quickly?" Nick accuses him.

"Excuse me? Is that coming from the man who married his significant other before he even got to know her, get out of here!" Angelo retorts and we all laugh again.

"Maybe you have a point there..we all went through some crazy shit though... but it was all worth it in the end." Nick murmurs thoughtfully.

"No argument there" Angelo agrees.

"So are you going to bring her over, over the weekend to the family party?" Nick asks.

"I haven't asked her yet, but i think i will" i decide.

"Would you look at that...finally getting your shit together kid....And i thought Aaron will get married again before you" Angelo chuckles.

"That's what happens when you have positive role models in your life... Chase are you listening" Nick utters.