Chapter Fifty-One

As Cassie and I walk up to Alex’s apartment James comes out to meet us. He says hello before taking Cassie's hand and pulling her back towards the cars. 

"What are you doing?"she laughed.

"I am taking you out for a date while we give them some long needed alone time." He smirks, winking at me.

I smile, wave them goodbye, and head inside. I don't even have to knock because Alex is leaning against the open door waiting for me. He is in comfy sweatpants and a black tshirt. I suddenly fidget with the hem of my skirt. I feel overdressed but I really wanted to look nice for him. As soon as we walk inside he shuts the door. I look around and my chest aches at the familiarity. I am swiftly spun around, pinned to the door, and deeply kissed. A moan escapes me like a gasp of air after rising up out of the depths of the sea. My fingers find their way into his hair. His hands however go lower and grip my thighs lifting me up off the ground. My legs wrap around him. After a long heated kiss he pulls away too soon. I can't take my eyes off his now plump red lips. 

"I've missed you." He confesses in a breathless sigh. 

He carries me over to the coach and sits down with me. I cuddle into his chest and inhale what I can only describe as Alex’s own personal scent. He wraps his arms tight around me. I instantly feel at home. I don’t even realize I’ve started crying until Alex pulls me away from him and looks down at me. He wipes the few tears away.

“Why are you crying?” He asks. 

“I don’t know. I’m just so happy to be here. I thought this day would never come and I started to fear I was going to lose you.”

He lifts my chin to look him in the eyes. 

“Hey, I’m not going anywhere.” He smiles down at me.

I know he meant this in a good way but I can’t find the words to tell him it breaks my heart because that’s part of the problem…I am going somewhere. I push down my insecurities and smile back at him. 

“I’ve missed you too…so much. This past month has been so lonely. Missing you was the worst part but also not having Cassie and Hunter to talk to and also losing my group of friends at school. Finals and the end of school couldn’t come soon enough. But…”

I fade off not wanting to talk about the future right now. He leans in and kisses me again. I quickly learned the perks of his sweatpants and my skirt. I can feel all of him. He moans and I can’t help but to smile. He gently bites on my bottom lip and smiles at me. 

“Are you hungry?” He questions me.

It takes a second for my brain to connect with his words and I nod. He helps me move off his lap and onto the couch before getting up. He disappears into the kitchen and I can hear him on the phone placing our usual order from Dante’s. He walks back in with two drinks in hand. I take mine and thank him for it. 

“One of these days I will take you out to Dante’s for a proper date. Unless you want to go somewhere nicer for our first date.” 

I blush just thinking about being out in public with him. 

“What?” 

“Just trying to picture us out together in public. I guess it still makes me nervous.” I confess. 

“I can’t wait to take you out and show everyone you are mine.” He beams.

“You’re not afraid of what people will say? Or what the school will have to say about it all?” 

“I only care about what you think. We don’t have to rush anything just because we are allowed to be together now. I always want you to be comfortable. If you are nervous about going out and being seen together we will wait until you are ok with it.”

I’m afraid to ask what if I’m not comfortable in time. We only have two months of summer before I move to California. 

“So what would you like to do today?” He asks me.

“Can we just lay here together and watch TV?”

“What? You want to watch TV? Who are you and what have you done with my Anna?” He teases as he grabs the remote. 

“I’ve had a lot of time locked up in my room and to be honest I was too depressed and tired to do much reading and writing. So I would turn on the TV mainly for background noise so I didn’t feel so alone.”

He squeezes me tighter and kisses me on the head. 

“So Netflix?”

“No. Movies and shows were too emotional and left me feeling even lonelier. So I got hooked on the History Channel and the Discovery Channel.” 

He laughs as he puts on the History Channel. 

“I should have known; my future anthropologist.” 

I cuddle into his side. At some point we both jump at the sound of someone knocking on the door. I laugh, I think I was so comfortable I was half asleep in his arms. He stands and answers the door. I have to fight the habit of hiding in the kitchen or down the hall. I doubt the delivery guy can see me here on the couch but it’s weird not to intentionally hide my presence. He shuts the door and brings the pizza straight to the couch. I cross my legs and dig in. Once my stomach is full I snuggle back into Alex. When the show ends he turns off the TV and stands up. He looks down at me and holds out his hand. I take it and stand up with him. Holding hands, he leads me to his room. The thought of us taking the next step makes my heart suddenly race but also instantly turns me on. He turns around to me and stops.

“Something wrong?” He sees my uneasiness. 

I don’t say anything, just blush. All the time apart has made me more self-conscious again. A few weeks ago I was practically jumping his bones. My eyes flicker to his bed and back to him without thinking. I hear him sigh. My shoulders drop a little at the sound. He is probably disappointed. He pulls me towards the bed and sits down. I stand in front of him. I look down, guilty.

“Anna, look at me.” 

I look up at him. 

“Why are we shy all of a sudden?” His eyes studying my face. 

He sighs again when I don’t answer. 

“I brought you in here to lay down and relax since you were dozing off on the couch. You don’t need to feel nervous. Just because we are alone or in my bedroom doesn’t mean you should feel like something has to happen. I told you school was no longer the reason we were waiting. We are in no rush and your first time will be when we are both ready. Just because you graduated doesn’t mean you need to feel like I am going to pressure you into taking the next step.”

I crawl onto his lap and hug him. He moves us back and covers us up. Like I always do I trace his tattoos as I start to drift off. It hits me that Alex answered the door earlier in this short sleeve t-shirt. That’s a first. If I remember later I will ask him about it. These are the last thoughts I have before falling asleep.