Chapter Forty-Eight

"What is he doing here?! I thought you weren't supposed to see him anymore?"

I walk up to my brother. Hoping he doesnt start hitting people again. I shamelessly use my puppy dog eyes and plead for him to behave. It takes a moment but I can see him give in to me. I smile before turning around and looking at Alex, who is now standing up.

“Hunter, I would like you to properly meet Alex.” 

My heart is racing as he walks towards Alex and shakes his hand. Cassie stands up.

“Ok how about we take this party upstairs to my room before the rest of the house wakes up and we become the Saturday morning show of choice.” She ushers us out of the living room.

I walk inside Cassie’s room and suddenly the room feels so much smaller with Alex and Hunter standing on opposite sides of it. 

“Ok so you told me last night how you two met” He glares at Cassie. “and how you got in this whole mess. But now that he’s here and the shock has started to wear off I have some questions.”

Let’s just say I didn’t give him all the details on how Alex and I met. However he was not happy to find out he was a crucial part of us finding one another after the masquerade. I knew he took it all too well last night. I sit down on the bed.

“Ok?” I encourage him to go on.

Thankfully everyone finds a seat too. Alex sits down next to me and Hunter sits at Cassie’s desk. Cassie sits on the bed, back up against the wall. I swear this girl is mentally asking for some popcorn as she sits back to watch. 

“Ok, let’s try and ignore the big issue with you being her teacher and all. We can deal with that part later. Savannah and I have always been close growing up, best friends even. The fact that you hid this from me sucks but I get it. As her big brother I want to beat the shit out of you for multiple reasons, but I won’t because of her. I’m going to try and be civil about this. Tell me about yourself, Alex. Maybe if I get to know you a little better I won’t want to kill you as much.”

Alex lets out a small chuckle next to me. What the hell is he laughing for? This is serious. I want…no NEED my brother to like him, to be on our side. It’s bad enough my parents already reject our relationship. 

“Well what do you want to know? Do you want my whole life story or just the stats?” Alex asks him. 

“Let’s start with the stats and we can work from there.” He replies. 

I almost roll my eyes at them. Boys! They sound like they are talking about sports when it's just my heart on the line. 

“Ok, I just turned twenty-four, making me five and a half years older than Anna. I graduated from State almost two years ago. I have been teaching for two years. I have one pain in the ass little brother…” Cassie kicks him. “Who I wouldn’t trade.” He adds. 

“Ahh, yes, James. Where is he anyway?” Hunter asks.

“Class.” Cassie chimes in.

“What else would you like to know?” Alex calmly asks Hunter. 

“Have you slept with my sister?” 

“HUNTER!!!” I shout, my cheeks blazing red.

“Oh shit!” Cassie holds back her laughter. 

“Not that I think it is any of your business but no I have not. At least not in the way you are implying. Though I have slept next to her on a few occasions.” 

How is he so calm? 

“Starting to like you a little more knowing that.” 

“I know the situation we find ourselves in is shity but I have tried to do right by your sister. We have taken things slow over the past four months.”