Chapter Nine

"You seem to be in a good mood today." 

I look at Ashley with a smile. 

"Yeah  I got my first acceptance letter last night." I tell her. 

"That's awesome. I'm still waiting on mine." She pouts.

"I just got mine from State." Becky chimes in.

"That's where I plan to go! I hope I get a letter soon. I've heard a couple other people got theirs in the past day or two." Ashley says.

They keep going on about college and I have to bring their attention back to the work. 

"We need to focus. We have the Twelfth Night test in a couple of days and then finals next week. Tell me who do you think the Duke should end up with and why?"

When the session is over, as our new normal, the girls leave and I am left to walk out with Mr. Hinsley. I find myself looking forward to these little talks on our way out to our cars. 

"I hear congratulations are in order."

I should have known he was listening. Nothing seems to get past him in his classroom. I nod.

"And where will you be attending next year?" He asks.

"Well, I have only heard back from State so far." I tell him.

"I take it it isn't your first choice?"

"It is the closest college to home and my brother and best friend go there. It has a great English department."

"But?" He encourages.

"I don't know if I want to be any form of English major. And my brother and friend would only be at the university with me for one year before graduating. And…" we have reached my car and I stop myself from admitting the last part. But he isn't going to let me go just like that. 

"They do have a great English department but that doesn't mean if you go there you have to major in anything English related. I can understand not wanting to be at the same school as your sibling. And...you didn't finish the last part."

"I applied somewhere else. Even though I will never get in. It has secretly always been a dream of mine to go there. I don't know why. Part of me is just waiting for the rejection letter. While the other part of me doesn't want to agree to anywhere else just in case by some miracle I get in." I blurt it all out in one breath it feels like.

He smiles at me and it makes my heart race.

"I'm sure you will get in anywhere. Savannah, it is good to aspire to higher goals. I wish you luck. Have a good night."

Once again I sit in my freezing cold car lost in my head after a short conversation with that man.

---------------------

I am glad when Saturday finally comes. It has been a stressful couple of weeks. Finals are over and Cassie and Hunter just got home for winter break.

"So Savannah, have you got any more letters in the mail?" Hunter asks me while we wait for our order.

We are at our favorite pizza parlor, Dante's. It's like a little tradition to come here when everyone comes home.

"Yeah, I've heard back from a couple more."

"And?" He pushes.

"They are just some of my 'backup' schools. State is still my top choice from the ones I've gotten into." 

"Oh, well that's cool." 

He won't admit it but I know he wants me to go to State like him. He wants to show me around and teach me how to experience college life. He wants me to be the proud little sister looking up to him. I just wish no matter where I choose to go he knew I still am proud of him. I know he also wants to look out for me but he can't protect me forever. 

"When do you leave for your trip?" Cassie asks me.

"What trip?" Hunter asks.

"The senior trip." She looks at him like he is an idiot.

"Damn, thats like next week isnt it?"

"Yeah, we leave in the morning on the 28th and get back late on the 30th." I tell them. 

"Good, you won't be gone for New Year's Eve!" Cassie celebrates. 

"Nope I will be home, in my PJs, watching the ball drop in Time Square feom my very own couch!" 

"Oooooor we could go out!" Cassie smiles at me. I think she might have even winked at me.

"Yeah I think Pjs at home sounds like a better idea." Hunter says. 

Cassie just rolls her eyes and I could help but laugh them. When I open my eyes, my heart drops as I'm locked in the gaze of another set of eyes. Cassie notices my change and looks over.

"Isn't that your teacher?" She asks.

I snap out of it and look at her.

"Yeah." Is the only thing that comes to mind. 

"You should go say hi." 

The waitress arrives at our table with our pizza and drinks and I have never been so relieved to see her. It is a welcome distraction for everyone at the table. 

Except for me. As I eat I can't help but keep looking over at him. He is dressed just like he does at school. It makes me curious, does we ever where casual clothes? He is sitting with a guy and a woman. I find myself wondering if she is with either one of the guys. 

Before I know it the pizza is gone and I have barly contributed to the conversation. After we pay I suddenly realize I have to walk past his table to leave. Cassie pushes me again to say hello but I refuse, explaining I dont want to disturb his meal. 

As I walk past I can't stop myself from looking up at him. I am surprised to find his eyes already on me and the corner of his mouth raised just so. I have come to the conclusion this slight smirk is when he is holding back a smile. I know it shouldn't but it makes my chest squeeze and a smile appear on my face.