Chapter Eighteen

I am frozen in shock. Alex turns around and leaves slamming the door on his way out. It's like my brain has glitched. I don't move or say a word.

"What the fuck just happened?" James asks.

Cassie’s hand squeezes my arm.

"Wasn't that…"

She stops when I finally turn to look at her and nod. Everything starts running through my mind and I feel a lot of different emotions. My body latches onto anger. I get up and storm out of the restaurant leaving Cassie to explain everything to James. 

I don't go outside with the intent to find him but when I see him in the parking lot I head straight for him. He is pacing and his hair is disheveled like he's been running his fingers through it. I can't help but to think it looks hot. He sees me and stops short.

"Savannah, what are you doing here?" He asks.

"Me? What about you?"

"Damn it. I told James to stop all this." He says more to himself than to me.

"Why?...oh my God you knew! How long have you known and didn't tell me?!" My anger grows with each new fact.

I watch as he runs a hand down his face. 

"Trust me, I didn't know at first. I would not have allowed James to ask around about you if I did."

Ouch, that hurts. I try to think but my emotions are too high to be rational. 

"So when? How?"

He hesitates but finally looks at me.

"When you passed out. I was there. I carried you to the doctor's office. I was about to leave when the doctor lifted your shirt and I saw your tattoo."

"So that's why you've been an ass ever since then. I knew something was off. You wouldn't talk to me, hell you barely looked at me this past week!" By the end I am shouting at him. 

"I...we can't do this." He turns towards the car.

"Can't do what?!"

"This!” He points to himself and then me. “The girl I met at that party was amazing. But you are not that girl!" He spits back at me.

"I am that girl! Always have been and always will be!"

"No! You…" he gestures at all of me. "are a high school student. MY high school student!" He shouts at me. Then he looks around to see if anyone can hear us.

His words are like a slap to the face. 

"Don't you think I don't know this? I don't know about you but whether you are Alex from the party or Mr. Hinsley it doesn't change anything. I don't care what you think about me anymore. I started having feelings for you weeks ago and it killed me having you ignore me the past week."

I didn't plan to confess everything to this man in the middle of a parking lot but here I am. My eyes start to water and I walk away before he can see me cry. 

I sit in Cassie’s car and text her I'm ready to leave. I am thankful he didn't try to follow me. 

Cassie drives me home and I tell her everything.