Chapter Forty-Four

It's been three and a half days since I have spoken to Mr. Hinsley. I can't say it gets easier, each day brings different pains. I thought refusing to speak to him when he called me to stay hurt but on the third day when he didn't even try it was heart shattering. I have hardly eaten anything the past three days. My stomach seems to be getting used to the lighter diet because my stomach hurts less each day. My head doesn't hurt as much but only because I've cried everything out and feel completely numb now. I finish picking at my lunch and throw it away. 

I walk into my next class but I am told I have been called down to the office. My stomach drops. As I make my way there I try not to throw up or pass out. Why is this happening? I follow their damn rules! I enter the front office and once again I am greeted with a warm smile. One I am unable to return. I must look bad because her smile falters and becomes one more sympathetic. 

"Mr. Smith will see you know, Miss Thomson."

I nod and walk to his office door. I gently knock and he tells me to come in.

"Good afternoon, Savannah. I hate to pull you from class but I wanted to talk to you. How are you doing?"

"Fine." I lie.

"I see. Well a few of your teachers have mentioned to me a difference in your behavior this week. I just wanted to check in with you and see if there was anything you would like to talk about." 

I shake my head. 

"Well if you do find the need to talk to someone my door is always open."

I can see he is truly concerned. He is a great guidance counselor and I trust him. Just not with this. I try to smile at him to reassure him I'm ok. I try not to think about Mr. Hinsley but being in this office always makes me think of that first meeting. Shit!

"Mr. Smith, there is one thing I almost forgot to mention. I can no longer help Mr. Hinsley with the tutoring sessions this semester. Could you tell him so he doesn't wait for me to show up after school today?" His name is even harder to speak out loud. 

"That is very unfortunate but yes I can do that. Well if that is all…" he waits for me to speak up.

When I don't say anything he scribbles on a piece of paper and hands me the pass. 

"I hope you have a lovely day Savannah."

"Thanks, you too."

-----------------

It's Friday, only one more day of this hell! As I unload my bag and grab what I need for first period someone walks up to me. I look up and try and smile at Elliot but it's impossible these days. 

"Hey can we talk?" He asks.

I shut my locker and lean on it. 

"Sure, what's up?" I shrug.

I watch as he keeps fidgeting. 

"Are you ok?" He looks at me.

"I'm fine." I find myself repeating this lie a lot.

"You haven't been acting fine all week. I've tried texting you."

"I got grounded and my phone was taken away. Brittany didn't tell you?"

He continues to fidget and rub the back of his neck. Why does he seem so nervous?

"Shit, I'm sorry. You don't deserve it."

I look at him confused.

"What do you mean? What are you sorry for and what don't I deserve?!" My voice starts to rise as I stand up straighter.

"You're not the one who should be in trouble." He states.

My eyes go wide and I can't breathe.

"You! You're the one who told my parents?!" 

"I figured they told you. Shit, I'm sorry Savannah."

"You're sorry! What exactly are you sorry for?" I can't think straight, I can barely see straight, I'm so mad. 

"I'm sorry you got in trouble while he gets away with it! I'm not sorry for telling your parents though."

"What?! Why?!"

"Because he's a…" he looks around. " you know...and he was taking advantage of you! I did it to protect you."

"Why?" I just can't understand.

"Why? Because I like you Savannah! Because you deserve better and I had to save you." 

I just stare at him speechless. Alex was right. Elliot sees me as more than a friend. His eyes flick away before they return to my eyes. Before I know what is happening he pulls me to him and his lips are on mine. The bell rings and I am literally saved by the bell. He says something about talking more later before leaving to get to class. My head is spinning. I fall back against my locker and slide down to the ground. 

I don't know how long I have been sitting on the ground. Getting up doesn't even occur to me. I probably don't have the energy to stand even if I wanted to. I make a decision and it finally gives me the energy to stand up. I open my locker and grab my things. I head to the parking lot and take off.