Chapter Eleven

"Is this seat taken?"

My head spins around from looking out the window and find Mr. Hinsley standing next to the empty seat next to me.

"Don't teachers usually sit up front?" I ask.

I look around. The charter bus is filling up quickly. I see Chase and Elliot sitting together. When I found out Brittany got assigned to the other bus I had planned to sit alone...or at least I had hoped so.

"Well I was asked to sit farther back to help keep an eye on everyone. It will be a full bus. So I figured if I have to sit with a student it might as well be one still sitting alone and who isn't afraid to speak to me." I can't tell but I think he is trying to mess with me.

"Sure."

I secretly take joy knowing I am the only student he talks to outside of his lessons. He sits down. I grab my bag off the floor and slide my journal back inside and pull out my book.

"Always getting the head start."

He points at my well worn copy of Pride and Prejudice.

"Who says I'm reading for your class? Maybe I just like this book."

"I think I know you well enough to know after I mentioned to you next semester's theme will be romance in classic British Literature and I find you reading Pride and Prejudice it is to get a head start."

I like that he knows me this well but hate that besides it being one of my favorite books he is right. He smirks at me.

"Can I tell you a secret?" He whispers to me as he looks around.

That voice, it makes my heart race. I just nod.

"We will not be reading Pride and Prejudice this semester." He whispers to me.

My eyes go wide and my cheeks burn red as I gently smack his arm. He laughs at my reaction.

"How is that possible?" I try to ignore the goosebumps his voice has created.

"Well I try to stay away from it because of its huge fan base. It is beloved by so many and its been revamped so many times and there are countless shows and movies based on it. I have chosen Mansfield Park for our Austen novel. When we return to class you will get the syllabus which will have Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and Great Expectations on its. All of which I'm sure you have read and will do just fine on." He smiles at me and I find myself staring at his lips.

We go quiet as Mr. Foster stands up front and takes attendance before explaining the itinerary for the rest of the day.

"...When we arrive this evening. You will be given room keys and free to go to your rooms and put your things away. We will all meet in the lobby for dinner. Then you will be given free time until curfew at 9pm. Curfew! Everyone is to be in their assigned rooms with no visitors. A chaperone will be checking. We can't force you to go to sleep but please remember we will be up early for breakfast and then heading to the slopes. Are there any questions? No? Ok we are off."

He sits back down and the bus pulls out of the school parking lot. I feel a bit nervous. I always get anxious on trips. No matter how long or short it is or who I am with. Usually I write or draw in my journal but I don't feel comfortable doing that with Mr. Hinsley next to me. I open my book and hope Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam can distract me.

It doesn't take long before I need a break from my book. I look up at the small bus TV. I don't know the movie and it doesn't hold my attention.

I look over at Mr. Hinsley.

"Did you know you have a very intense stare?" He asks me when he looks over at me.

Once again my cheeks are on fire.

"I always know when you are looking at me. It's as if I can feel your eyes on me. Like when I saw you at Dante's." The look in his eyes makes me feel strange.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean..." I start to apologize.

"Savannah, it's ok. I'm not mad. I shouldn't have said that. Forget what I said...So have you heard back from your top pick school yet?" He quickly changes the subject.

"I've heard back from a few more schools but no not that one. And I'm trying not to obsess over it."

We spend the rest of the ride talking and it's so nice and comfortable I almost forget we are on a bus full of people. When we arrive at the resort I am surprised that the time went by so fast.