Chapter Fifty

I walk into my room and collapse on my bed. 

“That was pure torture!”

“Who you talking to?” 

I scream and sit up faster than humanly possible. 

“What the fuck?! Are you trying to give me a heart attack!?!?” I yell at Cassie. 

“Well we were trying to surprise you but killing you works too.” Hunter laughs. 

I reach around searching for something, anything to throw at my brother. 

“Well first it’s summer break and two we are here for your graduation tomorrow…duh.” Cassie explains. 

“Uhhggg…don’t remind me.” I fling myself back on the bed. 

“What? I thought you of all people would be bouncing off the walls in excitement for tomorrow.” Hunter teases. 

“Well after spending the entire day in the gym practicing and rehearsing for the graduation ceremony I could skip it at this point.”

“Yeah you know Mom and Dad would never let that happen.”

“I know. It will be fine. I’m just tired I guess.”

“Aren’t you at least a little excited? I mean tomorrow is a big day for you and Alex right?” Cassie sat down on my bed next to me. 

I sat up and hugged a pillow to my chest. 

“And on that note I’m going to head back into the kitchen and eat before Mom and Dad get home from work.” Hunter left my bedroom shutting the door behind him.

“Ok, now that he’s out of our hair. What’s up?” Cassie urges me.

“I don’t know. I mean I see him everyday at school but we don’t get to talk. I miss just spending time with him. I’m afraid he may not feel the same way after all this time apart.”

“What, that man loves you. What makes you think he still doesn't feel the same way?”

“He told me he doesn’t want me to stay here and go to State but wants me to go to school on the other side of the country.” I shared with her. 

“So?” She looks at me confused. 

“So, he wants me to leave. I would be gone for at least four years if not longer. I may or may not be able to come back and visit for holidays. After being apart all this time, why would he want me to leave in just a few months from now?” 

“I think you should talk to him.”

“I’ve already registered for classes at Berkeley. He was right. I can't pass up the opportunities…and if he doesn’t want me to stay here with him I won’t.”

“Wait…are you breaking up with him?” The shock is undeniable in her voice.

I stare at my hands. That's the last thing I want to do, but I’m afraid he is going to leave me, or let me go. 

“No, at least I hope not but I don’t see it working long distance after this summer.” 

“I think you should talk to Alex about all of this.”

She wrapped her arms around me and we just sat in silence. 

---------------

"Whoever designed these gowns was insane. We look ridiculous and yet every year people put them on to graduate." 

I just nod as my classmate rambles on as we wait for our names to be called. I can't deny I like the proud feeling I get wearing my cap and gown...even if I agree they aren't very pleasing to the eye. As we step closer to the stage my nerves start to get the better of me. I hate being the center of attention and that's literally what's about to happen on stage. I take a deep breath.